Leeks still small from 2023

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks still small from 2023

Well, I planted a tray of nursery bought leeks at the end of last summer and still they are tiny despite feeding with general plant and veg fertilizer (My Happy Garden Organic Plant Food) and a bit of bfb. I originally had them planted at another plot of private land but had to remove them when I left (another story) which didn't do well there either, even though I made holes and filled with water to let the leek grow.

Granted they are doing better in my garden soil but still very small considering. And some much smaller than others despite all from the same tray. They were transplanted over Winter. I lost a lot at the plot due to slugs and snails hence the small crop. I just would like to know if it's worth keeping them going and hope they bulk out a bit more or harvest now ?

Thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240430_161901.jpg Views:	1 Size:	996.8 KB ID:	2578434
    Last edited by Marb67; 01-05-2024, 12:31 PM.

I'm thinking that they should normally have got most of their growing done in Summer and Autumn last year and now they'll be ready to make flowers. They were probably a bit too late going in last year and would normally be planted out between May and July.

I'd say use them when you've got a meal they can go in and put a fresh batch in in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Mark Rand; 01-05-2024, 04:52 PM.
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

If you planted them at the end of last summer then they will still be small. Leeks don't grow over winter, they grow in the summer and autumn, as said above. For a good crop, then want planting out no later than June.
      I wouldn't bother waiting and hoping those will grow bigger, either. Now that spring is here, they will bolt soon. Best to just use them as is

Comment

I have a few like that still, so they are coming up to make way for the spuds which still need planting out.
        Mine were planted out late too.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Ok, thanks for confirming. I did wonder if I chopped the tops off they would hold back flowering and bulk out but probably not ?

Comment

I very much doubt it marb. The few I’ve already taken had small, thickened stems already forming in the middle.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X