Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I join in, even though I grow them in the ground?

I sowed some Paris Market, Sprint and Cascade on 26 March. The Paris Market are just starting to come through.

Weather since sowing: a few very warm days, a few extremely cold days and nights and lots of rain (8 cm over 36 hours). I reckon it's the rain what got them growing.

I've got some coloured carrots for successional growing, Atomic Red, Purple Haze and Spanish Black, as well as some usual jobs. We eat loads of carrots, as you can tell.

I never used to have any success growing carrots till a friend told me to water the seeds every day. Since then, Bob's been my uncle.

Comment

• Everyone's welcome, Snoop - especially if they bring good tips

Comment

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
        Still nothing from mine either
        Mine neither
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
          Buckets numbers 2 & 3 still not germinated. Bucket 2 rainbow mix ( dodgy Chinese seed) sown 15th March. Bucket 3 Yellowstone sown 26th March ( I may just be impatient with these little fellas )

Other (none challenge) carrots sown same time and place as rainbow mix have germinated.
          Rainbow and Yellowstone have now started germinating
          Rainbow only 2 germinated but it's a start.

Comment

• The Nantes Frubund Fastcrop sown on 18th March have germinated.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• 42 days and 118 posts since I sowed my first pot. Not a sign of anything. Not even a token weed. have I been slugged in the night?
              Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                42 days and 118 posts since I sowed my first pot. Not a sign of anything. Not even a token weed. have I been slugged in the night?
                42 days does sound a long time. Did you use new seed or were they old ones from a previously opened packet?
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Of my 4 buckets sown, the first 3 germinated but were mostly slugged and just a few stragglers remain.
                  However, the latest bucket, covered with a sheet of glass is romping away. Can you try again MH, covering the bucket with something slugproof. 42 days seems too long for nothing to happen.
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 10-04-2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• My second pot, sown on 18th March, germinated while I was on hols.
                    I will sow the third batch direct into the ground at the allotment in the next few days.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• First two tubs sown are romping away. The third is still sleeping, but feeling quietly confident for it!!!!
                      I'm going to try sowing some outdoors in the next couple of weeks ...
                      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                        42 days does sound a long time. Did you use new seed or were they old ones from a previously opened packet?
                        The parmex were last year's seed, and the Jaune du Daubs new this year.

However, I have good news. I gave both pots of seeds a stern talking to yesterday, and threatened them with the compost heap, and can you believe it, I had a look today and there is one shamefaced tiny little sprout in each pot! It's raining, so I'll capture them for posterity (and the carrot thread) tomorrow.

(And there'd better be a few more up or there'll be trouble!)
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

• The good news, scarey grandaughters and my carrots are doing well (mine still better), bad news - I did the grannie thing and swopped the labels, I was sooooooooooooo busted. When I pointed out how well her carrots were doing she said "those are NOT my carrots Nanna, my bucket had a crack in the top and that bucket hasn't". We've sown a second bucket and I've promised not the cheat!

Comment

• Third tub sown on 31st March, today making an appearance (Nantes 5) (in GH)
                            ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                            a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Germination at last

Sowed 28th February - Parmex

Sowed 20th March - Jaune du Doubs.

(Magnifying glass available on request )
                              Attached Files
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

• Bucket number 5 sown today with purple haze.
                                Buckets 1,2,3 are doing nicely. Bucket 4 not germinated yet, but it's only been a week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X