Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scoot View Post
    Id love too but my fridge is under a bench.
    I've got an inch spare between my fridge and kitchen worktop. Really handy for ziplock bags and damp kitchen towel. Constant heat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      That's what I was going to do but it's very difficult to bin those chillies that are looking healthy...20 Manzanos in the bin it is then
      I have the same problem. I will still keep all the others but they will have B&B style. Not as much space or care

Comment

• I recommend binning all but the ones you want to fully nurture. Yes it hurts, but the pain fades with time, and you don't have to live with a load of neglected plants nagging at your conscience for the next 6 months! I now have 8 very healthy looking plants, and no stragglers.
        He-Pep!

Comment

• For anyone in London with chilli spares - SaffronCentral in Croydon has had permission to grow on the building site for another year and they are looking to have a whole lane of chillies.

All my spares are going there...only issue is there is no protection so they can't take them for a while, unless they can find foster homes locally.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Here are 3 of my chillies this morning - Padron, Inferno, and Jamaican Hot Yellow in that order.
            Attached Files
            He-Pep!

Comment

• Ive got about 8 padrons and hear really good thing about them for cooking and eating whole , gonna be keeping all of mine appart from the odd one i may give away

Comment

• I grew them last year, Jack, and although the plants looked great, they didn't produce much fruit, and not until it was too late in the season, so they all went mouldy. But it was a crap year for chillies last year, so I'm trying again. And yes, fried padron peppers are amazing, you eat the whole thing including the seeds - a lovely summer snack, washed down with a margherita!
                He-Pep!

Comment

• I've had some really good crops off Padrons, I didn't grow them last year but my chillies were all pretty rubbish last year. No Spring (no grow lights here) lead to very slow, small plants - fingers crossed for a warmer Spring this year

Comment

• They look good @bario1, are they under lights?

Looks like a second poor year of chilies in row for me -- all the interesting ones failed to overwinter, and I've had really poor germination this year from supposedly fresh seed. Luckily I'm not exactly short of dried chilies from previous years!
                    Last edited by jacob; 11-03-2016, 09:45 AM.
                    Garden Grower
                    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

• Yes, they were sown on Jan 13th, and have been under lights since they germinated. After previous chilli failures I was determined to get a head start on the season this year.
                      He-Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                        Ive got about 8 padrons and hear really good thing about them for cooking and eating whole , gonna be keeping all of mine appart from the odd one i may give away
                        They are fab! I have 5 here and I need more, none are being given away! I grow them in flower buckets outside and have always (that only means 2 years admittedly!) had fantastic crops. They get much hotter towards the end of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                          They are fab! .
                          I think so too!
                          Are you not joining our chilli circle? You can send them in with your saved Tom seeds....you've only got to bag one or two of those padrons and you're done! Go on, you know you want too
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 11-03-2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• I am really REALLY tempted - but am a bit worried I'll lose track of it all. I already have tom circle, general circle on here, HSL seed guardianing, seed circle on another forum, plus 2 am running - one on twitter and one on another forum. (eeep!!)

Comment

• PS Orange Wonder chilli from VSP, one month old, already keen on flowering...

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                I'm very impressed with my holy mole seedlings. They are like seedlings but on steroids!
                                Never grown them before, it will be interesting to see what they do.
                                I think these are also known as Chilaca seeds SP and I grew them last year..Absolutely beautiful very long glossy green coloured fruits...You nearly won't want to pick them
                                I found them great for pickling with other chillies and eating with jalapenos...

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                                Am struggling to get pasilla bajio to germinate - any tips? All the others are fine.
                                Pasillo Bajio were slow to germinate for me too Sparrow, but did eventually..

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                I think so too!
                                Are you not joining our chilli circle? You can send them in with your saved Tom seeds....you've only got to bag one or two of those padrons and you're done! Go on, you know you want too
                                Yes, you do want to join..Ah, go on, go on, go on

I must post up my list and comments shortly..

I have a growlight set up now for about 2 weeks but not hanging properly yet, but do think the plants seem to be loving it.. How long you leave it on for Bario?
                                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X