Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SusieG View Post
    Not had any trouble with any of my chilli plants being pollinated ~ they've all been crammed into GH together ~ would that have helped ..... ?
    Also keep GH doors open for as long as poss when warm enough... Or is it just some types more difficult to pollinate .....?
    Chillies are difficult, one year will be brilliant the next (even though you "think" you are treating them the same) will be dire. As LadySlip has said, to hot, too cold, to wet , to dry, overfed, underfed...they are just really fussy.
    I think it helps if you grow more than one plant on its own. Although indoor plants will fruit well. Into the autumn so I think there's still a good chance yet. I hope so anyway, ive got a few that haven't set fruit yet too!

Comment

• Overwintering this year
      - 7 Pot (started late in season to overwinter and test viability of seeds)
      - Apache (Turning into bonsai)
      - Couple of "devils Brew"
      - Santa de grande
      - Carolina reaper (Haven't bought seeds from reliable dealer so may well be something else )
      And a few I got on off the other day;
      2 jalepenos
      2 scotch bonnet
      1 "hot banana"
      1 Hot Thai
      ^ cost £2 in total from B&Q. Only bought to overwinter.
      And a aji lemon which I got for 50p , which I intend to overwinter but is started to grow chillis and is still flowering, going to gglue a couple so I have some seeds for reserve.

Comment

• One of my 'White Habanero' plants is different to the other two, and produced a very nice Peach coloured pod. Very sweet and mild for a Habanero, but definitely a Habanero smell and taste.

Attached Files

Comment

• well finally my carolina reaper has a chilli on it it has been dropping all its flowers but i have one on there so far heres hoping i get a few more

Comment

• The first one seems to start the ball rolling plenty of time yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
              One of my 'White Habanero' plants is different to the other two, and produced a very nice Peach coloured pod. Very sweet and mild for a Habanero, but definitely a Habanero smell and taste]
              Love the look of that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Love the look of that!
                Yes, me too

The pod formed while the plant was still isolated, but it only had one seed in it, which I've saved and will try and grow next year. The plant itself was healthy, but ground to a halt while indoors. It is now starting to sprout new leaves in the green house. If it looks like flowering again, I'll isolate it. Otherwise I'll try and overwinter it.

Can only speculate whether it's a mutation or cross-pollinated accident from the seed suppliers. Seems less likely to be a packing mix-up because it doesn't fit the characteristics of any variety I've ever seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
                  And there's a very good strain of yellow Cayenne sold by a Czech company that I'll probably grow every year. Compact plants, very productive and decorative, and hotter than ordinary red Cayenne.
                  Hi Zelenina, did you ever share any of those 'Yellow Cayenne' with the VSP?
                  I'm growing some VSP seeds labelled Yellow Cayenne, which are much hotter and thinner than the more commonly available 'Golden Cayenne', which I'm also growing.

Comment

• Originally posted by astraman1 View Post
                    well finally my carolina reaper has a chilli on it it has been dropping all its flowers but i have one on there so far heres hoping i get a few more

Well done. Had a few on mine so far but all been very small like marble size... Ive another 10 of these now flowering so hoping for bigger fruit. They do pack one hell of a punch though. I used a quarter of one in a curry and damn it was warm.

Comment

• Apache earlier this morning.

Attached Files

Comment

• Look very nice Allyby ...mine are still green.

Comment

• The eyes, it's in my eyes!!!!

Attached Files
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

• ....did you eat them off the bbq Cptn...? They look delish!
                            In the eyes? Ooops
                            ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                            a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Some of my Twilight chillis are now turning into a creamy colour ~ does that mean they are now ripe, or do they go red next .....?

Oh yes, btw, my sweet pepper Chocolate is FINALLY flowering! And on inspection earlier, there's one tiny fruit emerging...!!! Yay
                              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• I grilled them a then skinned them, scooped out the seeds and mush.. filled with cream cheese and garlic and then grilled again! Really nice.. but..

I was fine until I had a hot bath tonight, my hands are burning like the fires of hell, actually..not just my hands, my face and 'other areas'..

Really hurts lol
                                <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X