Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefudgly View Post
    I have two hairy bolivian over wintering as well, have yours fruited yet as mine seems to be quite slow growing unlike other chillies
    They fruited well last year but I pruned them right back to a stalk of about 5 inches tall in late December so just waiting to see if they grow again this year. I don;t know about that particular variety though - "hairy bolivian" - it might just be it.

Comment

thanks for that! I'll be happy if they are anywhere near as good as you say
      Death to all slugs!

Comment

I've got some photos somewhere, I'll get them posted..

Comment

I'm not hugely into chilli, I do like them but just not too hot!

Last year I grew a habenero, I think it was called Magnum but not 100% on that.

This year i'm growing Hungarian hot wax, which i'm hoping will be milder..
          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Yes, they are!, lots milder. I'm growing a black Hungarian wax, the seed leaves are already a "purplish" shade.

Comment

Have overwintered Big Sun Habanero and Mushroom Red indoors.

Left 2015 chilli plants in cold greenhouse, and trimmed them back whenevever they started dropping leaves. With the mild winter, it's possible some will overwinter successfully. Most likely is a Bishops Crown, which is the same species as the Lemon Drop (C. Baccatum).

Already started this year are White Habanero, Cheyenne F1, Bulgarian Carrot, Cherry Bomb F1.

More to follow including Joe's Long, Cayenne Thick, Orange Habanero, Burkina Yellow

Comment

Sounds good!
                I couldnt eat the habenero raw, they were too harsh for me!
                I watched a 10yr old boy eating an Hungarian hot wax on youtube so was hopeful I could take it!

Mine were only sowed 2 weeks ago, I have an unheated conservatory and a greenhouse to keep them going!
                <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I keep mine on the kitchen windowsil until it's warm enogh for the GH..I fed my brother a raw hab he is such a show off. He had steam coming out of his ears!! Still makes me laugh

Comment

I've never heard of bishops crown Chris. Off to g@@gle...

Comment

I have tried to over winter a few of last years chillies. I have 2 bhut jolokias 3 habanero and 2 lemon drops they seem ok but a bit sad. Have taken them out of the spare bedroom and put them in the hall which is warmer. Have tried to over winter two red peppers they look very sad but not dead yet. Will wait and see if the come good
                      Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        I keep mine on the kitchen windowsil until it's warm enogh for the GH..I fed my brother a raw hab he is such a show off. He had steam coming out of his ears!! Still makes me laugh
                        Scarlet You should get him to try one of your black naga
                        I'm looking forward to growing and trying ( not raw ) my jays peach ghost scorpion. A cross between peach Bhut jolokia and Trinidad scorpion. That should be a warm little fella

Comment

Red manzano for Uncle F..unfortunately I cant find a photo of a ripe one
                          Attached Files

Comment

Have tried to over winter two red peppers they look very sad but not dead yet
                            I tried to keep my Gypsy pepper going through winter; checked it last weekend and it is most definitely dead. Think the cold did it as I was a tad late bringing it in. Even still it wasn't frosty cold. Peppers don't seem to be hardy at all. Some of the chillies have a bit of cold tolerance especially established ones. Lemon Drop / Hot Lemon is probably the best example.
                            The capsicum annuums group of plants include quite a few at the milder end of the heat spectrum such as Cayenne, and in my experience these mild, sweeter chillies have a poor survival rate and thus aren't worth the bother of keeping one year to the next. But cayenne are of course hugely popular, plants grow quickly and everywhere seems to sell either plants, seeds or both.

Comment

Growing=

Satans Kiss ( please let them work this year, dying to try them stuffed.
                              Tabasco - gonna try and recreate the sauce
                              Satans kiss (false) the things i had of amazon last year that werent what they said they were , wanna find out what they are .
                              Red Habanero-thanks scarlet
                              Black Naga - now showing thanks scarlet
                              Trinidad scorpion - thanks scarlet
                              Trinidad 7 pot - thanks scarlet
                              Ceyanne and ring of fire for powder
                              and gonna look for a nice ornamental.

Was given an apache plant really late last season off my neighbour, stripped and froze the chillis and then thought id have a go at overwintering it for a first attempt.
                              Stripped it right back and it now has some signs of new shoots, touble is, there was also a few greenfly on there which i also found on my red habaneros as i was repotting them this afternoon.not happy at all, just hope i squished all the little beggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Red manzano for Uncle F..unfortunately I cant find a photo of a ripe one [ATTACH=CONFIG]61843[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61844[/ATTACH]
                                Ginormous Scarlet! Can't wait to see if mine get that big, plants are only 8" tall but a year old.
                                Death to all slugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X