Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few posts back I said I was only growing three varieties this year.

I buckled today and planted another 6 ....

But my autistic son wanted to help - and he did - so that can only be a good thing all round....

Comment

well in at the deep end ive just ordered some carolina reaper seeds

Comment

Let us know how you get on

Comment

I have also just ordered more chilli seeds
          Because the 19 varieties I've just sown aren't enough
          So I've just ordered
          Trinidad Sunrise Scorpion
          Vietnamese Tear Jerker
          Black Naga ( I couldn't go with out my black naga, I tried but I failed )

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Red manzano for Uncle F..unfortunately I cant find a photo of a ripe one [ATTACH=CONFIG]61843[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61844[/ATTACH]
            Damn you Scarlet...gonna have to have a go at these sometime now...
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

I sowed mine last weekend:

Trinidad scorpion

Scorpion (a cayenne variety)

Ring of fire

Thats all for me this year!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                I keep mine on the kitchen windowsil until it's warm enogh for the GH..I fed my brother a raw hab he is such a show off. He had steam coming out of his ears!! Still makes me laugh
                If I sliced it REALLY thinly it was nice with chocolate, I do like chilli but clearly the hotter ones (I know there's much hotter than these) are not really for me! 😨

I'll look to broaden my horizons a bit next year, are there specific seed suppliers you could recommend for more obscure and greater selection of chilli varieties..
                It might just be the catalogues I have and the shops I've been to but most places just seem to have the same standard varieties!?
                <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                  If I sliced it REALLY thinly it was nice with chocolate, I do like chilli but clearly the hotter ones (I know there's much hotter than these) are not really for me! ��

I'll look to broaden my horizons a bit next year, are there specific seed suppliers you could recommend for more obscure and greater selection of chilli varieties..
                  It might just be the catalogues I have and the shops I've been to but most places just seem to have the same standard varieties!?
                  Nicky's nursery has a very good selection of chilli's. That's where I get lots from. Scarlet is another good supplier so is the VSP
                  Last edited by Small pumpkin; 14-02-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Loads in the VSP it's good to keep it ticking over and restocking with fresh saved seed. I've just ordered some it's good to try some to overwinter, if it works you'll get fab crops in the second year.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...cel_83432.html

Thank you SP...I'm hoping for great thing from my black Naga and scorpion butch - they will be in their second year this year! jack is also trying them too (though only one seed of each ) have they germinated Jack

Chilli grower - I thought you grew, paper lanterns?...

I've started a chilli seed circle if anyone wants to join?
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 14-02-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I lost my black naga but he did fruit before he passed. About 20 chilli's and NOT ONE single seed!! (This is why I've just ordered more).
                      I'm very tempted by the chilli and tomato seed circles. Maybe next year. I think I need to re-learn to grow things this year without worrying about seed saving as well.
                      Just out of interest ( because I have been thinking about it) would making a bag out of tights or stockings ,to go over a flower or two,work or would they block out to much light ?

Comment

Tights would be fine, you can also use those wedding favour bags, or just keep one plant in the house. I'm getting worried now, I was hoping to save from the black nagas it's handy if you join a circle though as you've only got to ensure that one variety is stopped from crossing.
                        Toms are easy, they rarely cross, potato leaf varieties will, a cherry variety is easy to save from...you've just got to grow enough that you don't mind sparing one or two fruits to scoop out the seeds.

Comment

So far Scarlet one Black Naga has germinated , saw a sign of something else this morning but not checked properly yet , will update you later

Comment

The one trinidad scorpion has just come through for me...fingers crossed.

Comment

I have managed to overwinter a "Norfolk Naga" a "Basket of Fire" and a "Fuego" this year

They need tidying up a little, pruning back, repotting etc!

Not a chilli conasuer as admitted before, and this is the first time of doing this, as I just normally re-sow new every year, so where do I cut em back to, and when is the best time to re-pot and start bringing back into growth?

Scarlet.............................HELP!
                              Attached Files
                              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

They look really healthy Deano. I'm very impressed & a little jealous. I will let scarlet give you the advice you need. I've never managed to over winter a chilli.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X