X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November

Near the hotbin

The tomatoes have all gone and all that's left is a few self sown nasturtiums and the remnants of the caliente mustard green manure, which has been decimated by slugs. The gorgeous Japanese maple is rapidly losing its leaves. You can just make out the light from the grow light garden through the door - it is currently full of lettuce seedlings.

Near the apple tree

The Sungold tomatoes have been replaced by a pot of calabrese and a trough of spring cabbage. There is also a bolting fennel plant that I am keeping for now for its foliage.

From under the archway

Photo taken straight into the sun, hence the strange colour. Carrots, brokali and swedes in the carrot cage. More carrots and lettuces in the fruit cage. Strawberries and osteospermums in the growhouse and the fuchsia berry still in full bloom. The blackcurrant has been moved from under the net but the gooseberry is still there.

The dark area behind the fruit cage

Empty raised beds waiting for the builder to mend next door's garage gutter. Wild strawberries on the shelf looking worse for wear but still producing fruit. Broccoli near the fence has grown very tall this year. The blackcurrant is between the broccoli and the hedge, and the strawberry towers are currently homeless.

The veg garden

Mizuna and namenia bottom left, with a bucket of caliente mustard next to it. Leeks in the salad planter in front of 2 buckets of very late peas (Terrain) just starting to produce pods. Spinach and calabrese under the nets and tomatoes (Mountain Magic) against the fence. There are also carrots in the quadgrow and beetroot in the green pot. The pots on the path are mostly strawberries, although there is a bucket of corn salad in amongst. I've left the runner bean foliage on the archway to provide some greenery as the clematis got wilt in the summer and had to be cut down.

I expect the whole place to look rather different by the end of the week, with a lot of the more tender plants likely to be killed by frosts.
    Attached Files
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• November in the Garden
      Took these photos today it's nice & sunny here but cold,my dahlias,french marigolds,nasturtiums,geraniums & a few petunias are still flowering. In the second photo you can see my last tomato plant-black cherry,happy out there still so I can't take it out yet. The netting in the background's for some meteor peas when they grow. There's garlic in the raised bed behind some nasturtiums,under my apple tree & grape. In the fourth photo the netting on the ground's hiding my red onions. The carrots on the table in the last photo were growing on top of my little shed roof,they're ready for harvest soon.
      Attached Files

Comment

• November in the Garden Continued
        A few close up pictures of my broccoli with dahlias. Swede on a chair & some late peas.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Very colourful JJ!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• After a little tidy up here's the plot as of today:

The Shuttlecock is still producing:

The Whirligig Bean frame is also still producing:

Attached Files
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• December - final pictures for 2016

Near the hotbin

Not much to see here. The caliente mustard has been dug in and I'm just waiting for the fence to be painted and then I will put up a couple of cloches ready for next year's potatoes.

Near the apple tree

The apple tree and white currant have lost their leaves now and there are just a few rather tatty brassicas and a fennel plant that bolted but is still giving a few edible fronds. Time I got rid of the remaining bedding plants and the pots on the fence.

From under the archway

The builders are busy mending the gutter on next door's garage. I've taken the nets off the carrot cage and fruit cage for the winter. Brokali looking like it might be nearly ready to produce flower buds. The fuchsia berry has just about had it now. The plants in the trough on the shelf are mibuna, which is growing well.

The area behind the fruit cage

Wild strawberries looking worse for wear now - there are 3 plants in each pot and they are 2 years old, so I will sow some more for next year. PSB on the raised bed and everything moved away from the taller beds to give the builders access. Carrots in the fruit cage with a tray of chinese cabbage behind.

The veg garden

The cold frame has been moved to the hedge path and contains strawberries and carrots. Calabrese where the cold frame was and under the net, spinach, peas and beetroot near the fence, leeks in front. Namenia and mizuna in the foreground with a bucket of caliente mustard behind. Several pots of compost from finished plants are lying about waiting for the builders to finish so I can put the compost in the compost bin (which needed moving to give them access) - hopefully I will be able to tidy these up this weekend!
              Attached Files
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• You beat me to it Pene...............Here are my final photos of 2016.

Plot: Still a few Leeks, Parsnips, Beetroot & Kale to pick:

Munty House is now clear & ready for next years French Beans, Just needs tidying up a bit:

Area I've been working on from left to right, Old Whirligig for growing Beans..............2 rows of old cut up Daleks for spuds............New Squash/Courgette structure.

I'm also pleased how the pond has turned out:

See you all next year for the 2017 Calendars.
                Attached Files
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• December 2016

This is what my garden looks like today,quite green & bare but ready for spring! There's some rocket in big pots in photo two. In photo three is swede on the chair,a pot with leeks & carrots,a potato sack of carrots & a potato sack with three garlic cloves. In photo four is onions with a few garlic next to some brussels sprouts plants,there's also garlic in the raised bed. In photo five you can see my little meteor pea seedlings growing in a v shape with broad beans planted along the trellis but they're not up yet,runner bean teepees are going in this corner too in April/May
                  Attached Files

Comment

• C'mon Guys................last chance saloon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X