When do people plant out runner beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Bollotti beans tend to be French beans which will sulk in the cold even if it doesn't kill them off. Pansies would cope much better being much hardier. Not sown my Bolottis yet, in the next couple of weeks I should think.
    Well they looked pretty happy after a night out on the tiles when I had a look at them, they are out again tonight. I will have a look at them tomorrow before making a decision about the next too nights.

They certainly look far far happier than a few miserable tomato plants which have never left the window sill that is for sure.

I will see how they get on, I have other plants started later anyway, and I could sow more seeds if I needed too.

I think there might be some tiny pods on them too, but I have never grown them before so I don't know what I am looking at, I don't really recall them flowering.

Comment

Let them out last night to there was bit of damage, some leaves blew off after I tied a dangle bit
      I should have let it dangle.

Was going to take some pictures but the battery in my camera is dead!

Comment

So has anyone planted them out yet? I really cant hold them back any longer, I think ill have to put them in this week.

Comment

I'm toying around with planting some out next week but who knows what's gonna happen with this weather.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Mine are getting a bit big, but I'm holding on until the weather is better. They've only spent one day out of the greenhouse so far, I haven't let them out today because of the cold wind.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Mine wont be out until the beginning of June, sown on the 4th May

Comment

Mine, thankfully were sown on the weekend ( May 16th) as we've another cold week this week and it's blowing a gale at the moment. Looks like June for me this year...so different to last year.

Comment

I'm planning on putting mine out Thursday,the night temperatures look a little better & they've been in the blow away tent for their whole life so they've been through temperatures of 4 or 5 degrees. Might need a wind block though....

Comment

Metcheck is showing our temperature dropping to 3c on Saturday night

Comment

Ihadnt heard that Martin! That's so depressing

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Ihadnt heard that Martin! That's so depressing
                        Yes, isn't it!

So my current plan is to plant out the runner beans on Sunday when there's a bit of sunshine and not too much wind. Of course, it might all change before then...

Comment

Cheers Martin, guess I'll put them on hold...............again.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I was thinking Thursday for mine too as I've been putting them outside for the past week or so during the day then back into the poly tunnel at night.

I'll keep an eye on the forecast and decide from that It would be maddening to lose them now
                            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the weather warning I'l make a semi-permanent thick cloche tent,wrapped around the bamboo,pegged in place (unclip the top during the day) & a straw/grass mulch. Ive done this before & only lost a few leaves-went white. I have some back ups germinating now too incase of disaster & a later harvest. It's nice having some new flowers blossoming when the old plants stop & picking beans in October.

Comment

Metcheck have revised their forecast for our area, looking OK here after tomorrow now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X