No announcement yet.

When do people plant out runner beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't sown mine yet. The detailed forecast here for tonight shows sub zero temperatures for 5 hours, down to -2 for 3 of those. I've been out constructing fleece covers for the flowering strawberries and apple tree and earthing up potatoes. The roofs were white with frost this morning.
    Last edited by Penellype; 26-04-2015, 03:11 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I may sow mine next week in pots under a cloche, after chitting them indoors. I've found later sown ones catch up with and often overtake early started beans, so it's not worth the window ledge space to start them too early.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

A second plot-holder planted their beans out yesterday. I've got my fingers crossed for them! Meanwhile I didn't get round to sowing mine yesterday, I'll do them tomorrow.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I've not started mine yet. I usually aim for planting out at the very end of May. I've been caught out a few times with a sudden cold snap in May and believe that the later sown ones catch up.
          Last edited by Scarlet; 26-04-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Does anyone sow them direct? I see that most of the posters here start them in pots/inside - I was thinking of just sticking them in the ground outside. Is this a big no-no?

Comment

Originally posted by Trix View Post
              Does anyone sow them direct? I see that most of the posters here start them in pots/inside - I was thinking of just sticking them in the ground outside. Is this a big no-no?
              I have a severe slug problem in my garden and thats the reason I sow then in root trainers first, then I can plant then out when they are 2 foot tall or so.

Direct sown crops just seem to be slug food in my garden

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                Direct sown crops just seem to be slug food in my garden
                Not to mention mice, squirrels, voles & other pesky pests.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Trix View Post
                  I sow mine direct. Last year didn't get round to sowing then til second week of June, but they shot up and soon caught up with the ones on my neighbours plots
                  What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                  Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I sowed mine in little pots yesterday, I had intended to sow in toilet rolls, but forgot! They are in the plastic thingy outside, in sheltered spot.

I'll plant out when about 6 inches, they'd never survive on plot if I planted them directly.
                    DottyR

Comment

I sow mine in pots, 2 to a pot. If only 1 of the 2 germinates I stick a 2nd seed in when I plant out, so that I have 2 plants up each cane.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

somebody at my plot put theirs in last week, and they looked great standing proudly at approx 6 inches tall.

However, I went to the plot after work today, and noticed that they have all been killed or at least severely damaged during the very light frosts and cold temps here in Cardiff over the last few days.

At least I am assuming it is the cold/frost.

The leaves have all curled in and gone completely black, as though they have been burnt.

The same thing has happened to the tips of my potato leaves

Not good!
                        Last edited by chilli_grower; 28-04-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I used to sow my beans direct - french beans on the Mayday bank holiday weekend and runner beans on the Spring holiday weekend at end of May. As others have suggested, slug vigilance is essential! But nowadays I do the pots thing and get a very slightly earlier crop.
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                            I used to sow my beans direct - french beans on the Mayday bank holiday weekend and runner beans on the Spring holiday weekend at end of May. As others have suggested, slug vigilance is essential! But nowadays I do the pots thing and get a very slightly earlier crop.
                            I like doing them in pots as you dont get any spaces were some havent germinated. Though I do plant a seed where my seedling get planted in. Im hoping for an early crop with my frenchies planted in the GH border this year. Im hoping I get a crop before I need the space.

Comment

My two Italian Borteli(?) bean plants spent last light out on the patio.

They are supposed to require warm weather.

They look pretty healthy to me, so they are staying out tonight, which is a little colder
                              I think.

The next two nights are colder still so I will make a decision based on what they look like tomorrow.

Should they die I guess I can plant some more if I choose too.

They are about 2 feet tall!!

A bit of cold won't do them any harm, after-all they are beans, not pansies!!!

Were they are I tend to record 1C (or 1.5C) higher than the forecast current temperature at night. So the 4C predicted should be a 5.5C for me I hope!
                              Last edited by Beso; 29-04-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beso View Post
                                A bit of cold won't do them any harm, after-all they are beans, not pansies!!!
                                Bollotti beans tend to be French beans which will sulk in the cold even if it doesn't kill them off. Pansies would cope much better being much hardier. Not sown my Bolottis yet, in the next couple of weeks I should think.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X