No announcement yet.

My Plot Coming Along Now...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you look at this picture the first patch with canes around it is my onion patch and the raised bed behind it is my potatoe patch at i wanted to run all the way down the edge of my plot with potatoes but now i cant
    Attached Files
    All My Spare Time Is Spent On The Plot .. Gardening Is What I Love To Do..
    sigpic

Comment

Why can't you ? It's far too early to plant Potatoes & I don't see any onions leaves so I would lift them out & extend your bed..
      Last edited by Bigmallly; 19-02-2015, 02:11 PM.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

i got told that early spuds go in now and onions can go in early feb aswell so am i doing it wrong ?.
        sigpic

Comment

Potatoes can be put in bags then somewhere frost free i.e Garage or Greenhouse. Planting outside is normally done after your last frost as it will kill the foliage. They will regrow following frost damage so don't worry too much about that. Onion sets normally go in mid March to mid April.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I would have thought it would be about 4-6 weeks before your potatoes should go in. The soil is too cold for them to grow and might rot off. Also potato foliage is very frost sensitive so you don't want it above ground much before late May. I plant mine around the third week in March and have been caught out by frost before. They are called "earlies" because they are early to mature, not that they go in any earlier.

Comment

But don't worry too much - the "volunteer" potatoes that I accidentally leave in the ground over winter seem to do well enough.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

hiya BigMally im here

just to let you know me and our lass is going down Saturday all day and sunday afternoon to rip it all up and start again because i am not being rushed into something that i am putting money and a hell of a lot of time into so question time ?

im going to have long raised beds and i was thinking of making them 2feet wide and roughly 20 feet long and with a 2 foot gap inbetween them to walk/kneel in ?.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm obviously not BigMallly, but it would be better to make your beds about 3' - 3'6" wide. The aim is that you can reach to the middle of the bed without standing on it. Even I, with my little arms could reach across a 2' wide bed

Comment

Perhaps 3' or even 4' might suit better to allow spacing of rows. Your plot so your call though

Comment

Too slow again

Comment

The way I see it Andy is that you are not happy with how it is at the mo so it's up to you to make it work for you. IMO, you will not do any damage by lifting the spuds & onions, sorting out the beds how "you" want them then replanting the spuds & onions in March.

Comment

thanks guys

i was just thinking if i did them 2 foot wide then in one pathway i could reach to other side without stretching and be able to turn around and do the same in the next bed so one path i can get stress free weeding and planting

and no bigmally im not happy that people rushed me because it just doesnt look right at all nothing is in line just dumped

and my motto is that if your gunna do something take your time on it and do it right just the once no keeping fixing it year after year
                          sigpic

Comment

Hiya All

I got down to my plot today and i spent the whole day down there 7am till 6pm

and i have changed my plot to how i wanted it in the first place...

let me know what you guys think they are 3ft wide and 25ft long
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

That brings back memories Andy............looking good in my opinion. Some will say it's a long walk round but having long legs, I just used to step over...........and mine were 4ft wide..............The main thing is they are how "you" want them.
                              Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-02-2015, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Cheers BM

well i am 6 ft 1 and i have 33 inch legs lol so its not really a stretch which is why i made them the way i did and i am very happy with how they look i just need more wood now to make 4 more and i also cleared the strawberry patch out but forgot to take pics
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X