Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy smaller quantities of potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy smaller quantities of potatoes?

I've only got a small garden, but I'd really like to try to grow a few different varieties of potatoes. Does anyone know where I can buy smaller quantities of potatoes online, instead of the larger bags I see in the garden centres? Also, I am on a budget (as I am starting from scratch with a bare garden), so where's the most cost effective place for potatoes?

Thanks

Poundland or 99p stores usually have small bags of 6-8 seed potatoes in. There are obviously limited varieties, but if you can get a bag that doesn't have long pale chits they are good value. Your local garden centre or Wilkinsons might have loose spuds to buy (mine doesn't ever). Most of the major online seed merchants will start discounting their spuds soon, so if you aren't bothered about varieties you can pick up a bargain. Postage can be £5-7. Or, depending on where you are, there are potato days, where you can buy loose spuds. There's some info here: Potato Days 2015
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I never thought of Poundland types of shops. I'm still busy trying to clear the space, so by the time I've finished clearing it, they may well be reduced. I'm not too bothered about which varieties, I just know I want a few different types.

Comment

One of my garden centres sells them loose and does taster bags of 5 seed potatoes. If you add your location to your profile someone might be near you and be able to tell you precisely.

Comment

I went to a garden centre and picked mine up by chance. Didn't think they would be in yet but there were so grabbed them there and then. They were charging 20p each or 15 for £1.99
          sigpic

Comment

Best bet is a local garden centre that a) sells them loose and b) has plenty of varieties on offer.

Similarly for Potato Days

Crowders sell 1kg bags online (which is about 10, or maybe a bit more, tubers).
            Taster Bags will usually be 5 tubers
            Last edited by Kristen; 10-01-2015, 11:03 AM.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Traditional hardware stores often carry garden products and will sell a variety of seeds by the cup or individually. I buy all my beans, potatoes and onions this way.
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I've just checked out Crowders, I hadn't discovered them before now, so they'll be handy, they've only got a couple of varieties left though, but that's fine.

I'm in Durham (in the North East), and the garden centres that I usually visit don't sell them loose. But I never thought about checking hardware stores, so I'll give that a go too.

Comment

There's a potato day in Durham 31st January.

Durham Organic Gardeners Association Meetings

Comment

Don't leave it too long Deb- you want seed tatties in good condition

Comment

Durhams got to be a couple of jumpers colder than you mind Rustylady.

Comment

You spent winter on the East Coast Mikey? It's not so much the temperature, it's the windchill

Comment

Thanks so much everyone

Comment

I went in Wilko's today and they had a number of different varieties in £1.00 bags along with kilo bags for about £2.50! They also have onion sets etc! Nearly walked away with fruit bushes, horseradish and ginger... but i persevered.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                              You spent winter on the East Coast Mikey? It's not so much the temperature, it's the windchill
                              It probably quite similar to the west coast but without the driving rain!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X