No announcement yet.

Challenge - Grow Radish with me in 2015

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent on the variety and the time of year 8 to 10 weeks. I start late Feb with a sowing in the GH, this will produce a few radish but there will be more failures than normal. However I love radish so am prepared to put up with that just to get started.

Like toms when I am in the garden I will often pick one give it a quick wash and snack away.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

8-10 weeks
      I have seriously underplanned this Challenge
      OK, so its deeper pots and more time in the ground - so more pots required
      I'll sow some tomorrow, and keep sowing them every week, until the first lot is pickable, then start over again.

Comment

I use 4 pots so usually when we get going I have about 30 plus radish a fortnight, with every thing else going at time I find that plenty for the two of us.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

VC, make sure you so not let them dry out, or they will get woody.
          Harvest from 4 weeks in peak season. I love them small not quite so peppery and you can eat whole.
          I sow direct into very sandy soil and works great for me, always have far to many. I also plant too many seeds, as the bloody ants tend to pinch half the seeds and they seem to do ok if over crowed and i pick out the small and let the others grow on.
          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I have some radish seeds on order so I'll be growing them, probably only a few at a time as I'll be the only one eating them.... But I doubt I'll be growing as many as you will, I'm intrigued to see how you get along tho!

Comment

I will have a bash

I have grown radish successfully before in the cheap plastic propagator trays but it was a round/ globe variety rather than the stubby type shown in Pots. photo.

I will try radish - scarlet in some bertolli pots or similar and see how it goes

Comment

I might have a go but will delay starting as it's been a bit cold up here.

I have only got
                Chinese dragon (50 days to ready, Sowing Months:April, May, June, July)
                Violet de gournay (Sow from mid June to August, Harvest mid September to November.)

I don't believe I don't have any 'normal' radish seed.

Comment

Count me in VC. I love radish - the more peppery the better but have a hit and miss growing record.
                  I will get some in at the weekend and put them under fleece in the porch which is at least south facing.
                  I am going to attempt winter radish this year as well and have some really odd sounding seeds. Thanks Bren in Pots for them via the seed swop.
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I've never succeeded with radish, but I'll give it a go. Maybe one pot a fortnight until I find out if it's going to be a success or total failure. Since they don't grow well for me, (probably they don't like my clay soil) I thought I'd experiment with growing mediums too. The first pot, sown today with 10 seeds of French Breakfast (what an odd name, I thought the French had croissants for breakfast?), is pure vermiculite, will be grown on the windowsill, and get an occasional splash of houseplant food the same as all the other house plants.

I knew those cream pots would be useful. I shall have to get a few more....
                    Attached Files
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

I have a Margarine tub full of compost and tonight I'll sow a round radish - hope its won't need the depth of a long 'un. Haven't chosen which round 'un yet.

Comment

OK, now I've taken the challenge, bought the seed, and sown it, I've googled radishes to see what conditions they like.

Hmm... cool weather crop. May be too hot indoors for them then, they like it below 16C...goes and moves them to a north facing window.

Time to maturity seems to depend on variety, with globe radishes maturing faster then long ones. Right. I picked long ones.
                        Wrong choice Mothhawk

Endless wonder.

Comment

Mine pretty much always work, just shove em in and forget them. Trouble is they are always too hot... Anyone know of any sweeter varieties?
                          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

I won't be sowing any yet, I will hold until the end of Feb. I find that without enough light you get all top stringy growth (edible) and no root.

Ordinary French Breakfast will grow a root about 2 inches long, I grow the larger 3 inch variety.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                              Mine pretty much always work, just shove em in and forget them. Trouble is they are always too hot... Anyone know of any sweeter varieties?
                              After exploring the art of radish growing on t'interweb, I am informed that hot soil makes hot radishes (in other words plant them early spring and don't grow them through summer), soil that's too dry makes them hot, and also they get hot if they grow too slowly, so it seems a fine line between the weather being too warm altogether, and not warm enough to encourage rapid growth.

If anyone can tell me when that window of "just right" is going to be, I'll have a go at growing them outside
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

For those of you interested in joining in, but don't like the flavour of radish, they lose their peppery flavour once cooked.
                                Great in stews, sautéed and baked in foil with a smidgen of butter.
                                Last edited by Nicos; 11-01-2015, 11:42 AM.
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X