No announcement yet.

Challenge - Grow Radish with me in 2015

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 4 marg tubs of radishes on the go. The first 2 look happy, the 3rd is coming through, and I've just sown the 4th.
    I'm keeping them indoors until they germinate, then they go out in the GH in a heated propagator, squashed in with the experimental early toms. May as well make use of the free space while there is some
    Photos tomorrow if I remember!

Comment

Weeks 1-3 radishes

Week 4, has just shown its head and will join them in the GH tomorrow.
      Week 5 to be sown tonight.

Wonder how many weeks before I can eat one?
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if it is classed as my first, as it is so tiny. But tasted great
        Had to thin out as planted far too many with the seeds being past their best
        Sowed the 11/1
        Attached Files
        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Well done Lisa. The first radish of the Challenge

Comment

I'm growing Radish Sangria as microgreens on my kitchen windowsill, on damp kitchen paper, but I suppose that doesn't count for this challenge. They do taste quite radishy and look very pretty with their bright pink stems in salads . Leggy is a positive advantage in this case

Attached Files
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I should have posted this sooner, radish was sown 11th. Jan. and through 5th. Feb. at this rate will have lots of seeds sown with nothing showing so I think I will withdraw from the challenge. I couldn't afford all that compost or space.
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

That's odd, rary! Where/how are you growing them?
                I keep my marg tubs indoors until they shows signs of life, then lob them out into the GH.
                Are your seeds out of date? Mine are " Sow by Aug 2013"

Comment

Me being me I still haven't sown any seed of any sort this year, sitting on my hands biding my time.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I checked mine today, still yet to sow my 4th tray, but the previous 3 trays are happy enough in the inception-house, but no 'radish' bit as yet.

The first tray is starting to get it's true leaves

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      That's odd, rary! Where/how are you growing them?
                      I keep my marg tubs indoors until they shows signs of life, then lob them out into the GH.
                      Are your seeds out of date? Mine are " Sow by Aug 2013"
                      They are growing in a lemonade bottle , halved, a wick fitted through where the cap should be, turned upside down filled with compost and placed into the base with a level of water in it then an other halved lemonade bottle top minus the cap fitted as a cover, and kept in a cold(in fact over the last month very cold) greenhouse
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Can you keep them indoors for a week until they germinate? Then evict them into the cold GH?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Can you keep them indoors for a week until they germinate? Then evict them into the cold GH?
                          If I kept them in the house I would be evicted

Comment

Stuff them up your jumper?
                            Under the bed?
                            Behind the tele?

Comment

Sounds like they may be too cold & too wet Rary. They don't need water until they germinate. The seeds may have rotted.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Just a couple of facts that may help.

Germination range 18/30'C should be up in 3/4 days. Seed will not germinate below 5'C which I think could be your problem.
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X