Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday- extending width and properly defining long, boundary border bed. Mostly removing giant, grass turves and nettles. I did not have time last year- manure initially stored there and ad hoc planting as I used it - it is mostly flowers with vegetables tucked in.

Seedlings all look happy in their new beds.

Planted 6 tomato plants in seedling bed where I now have space and one in greenhouse to compare. Bed surrounded by corrugated plastic but not covered.

Lovely neighbour at allotment gave me some broad bean plants to fill some gaps in second broad bean bed. Watched him plant seeds as he was much more successful than me last year with carrots and beetroot. He sowed,covered and then firmed with end of rake. Will try that- I just cover or broadcast and rake both directions.
    No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Back to school tomorrow, so had to make the most of today at the plot. Erected my runner bean poles, put sticks in my first row of peas, prepared cucumber trench in the 'glass shed', planted radish, beetroot and lettuce, hoed the garlic. BFB'd the beds awaiting planting. And I pottered about clearing grass and rubbish off the paths that I have not put bark chippings down on (ran out of bark chippings). Played with my new garden sieve - ooooh, it is effective! Had a lovely time. Then came home and planted dwarf beans, sweet peas, courgette and cucumbers.

Comment

• Dug a bit more of a tattie bed,dug a trench around my ploytunnel frame and fitted the cover. Put a load of bricks, metal pipes and soil over polythene edges to keep it down. I will tidy it up and make sure its taut tomorrow evening .............probably!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Collected old log pile from friend and piled up in a 6ft x 2ft x a bottom's depth line to make a haven for wildlife by pond( at allotment) as well as a brilliant bench from which to watch tonight's excellent sunset. It was so lovely that I totally forgot to fleece tender things that are out in the open.
          No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

• Planted Shallots on cardboard covered with MPC using bulb planter. no clear rows as bulbplanter did not goin easily at few points., think this is my first pic post. 2 beds on either side are raised one just laid a bed frame on cardboard and filled with MPC.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Yesterday- Weeded border path and some watering. Really miss those long, holiday days!

Comment

• Sowed a load of chitted sugar snap peas in root trainers.
                He-Pep!

Comment

• Planted a bed of Desiree tatties. Fillled in the holes they were planted in with well composted material from my dalek.

Took two lots of leggy tomato plants to the greenhouse and covered them with a polythene bag for some added protection.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Today I planted stuff out. Summer cabbages, Calabrese, Cauliflowers and Kohl Rabi. Also Chrysanthemums. It's all well hardened off and also planted out under netting or fleece so I'm not expecting the forecast cold nights this week to cause any problems.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Cut back rocket in greenhouse to give space for replacement seedlings (about 4 inches) to thrive. Removed last of choys and planted out their replacements.

Planted out mountain orach and aztec broccoli seedlings around different beds- not sure what they will like so am trying in lots of different conditions.Sweet peas also out.

Bought a water lily and some marginals for pond to keep tadpoles occupied and had first sighting of a pond skater and diving beetle. I'm hoping they will enjoy it and stay.

Roll on Saturday and a full day at the allotment!

Comment

• Sowed carrot 'Nantes 5' and red onion (cannot remember variety) in polytunnel.

Potted up six plugs of Fuchsia ''Pink Fizz' which had been delivered that day

Potted up 15 Sugar Snap peas 'Delikett' and 9 Savoy Cabbage 'Jade F1'
                        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Planted some sweetcorn in tubes

Bought two Irish heritage apple trees
                          - Kerry Pippin
                          - Ballyvaugh

and got them planted - so the orchard is coming on well, that's 12 varieties of apple and a couple of pear

Comment

• Sowed some more lettuce and carrots under debris netting. Sowed some more annual flower seeds - Nigella and Eschsh, Escchschsol, Californian poppies, also some fennel for its foliage.

Oh and I put up my runner bean supports - a 10-cane double wigwam of my own design:

Attached Files
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                              Sowed carrot 'Nantes 5' and red onion (cannot remember variety) in polytunnel.

Potted up six plugs of Fuchsia ''Pink Fizz' which had been delivered that day

Potted up 15 Sugar Snap peas 'Delikett' and 9 Savoy Cabbage 'Jade F1'
                              Thank you- I was wondering what how to decide between sugar snaps!

Comment

• Sowed 4 types of sunflower with youngest family member also more cosmos, cerinthe, stocks and sw William.
                                Sowed field beans( never grown these before) , peas, climbing and dwarf beans, all in unheated greenhouse.
                                Planted some nice perennials and a clematis.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X