X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here bill I only gave them 12" and they were brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      I dont have foxes or squirrels but my springer spaniel loves them so I fence mine in with debris netting until they get establshed.If you have never grown them before you are in for a treat, its a most satysfying plant to grow and eat) good luck.
      I have some Wilko's pond and crop black netting. Would that do that job being held up with some canes?

Sorry for taking over your thread Kristen.
      @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Originally posted by NatalieCooke View Post

Sorry for taking over your thread
        No dramas, the more chat about sweetcorn/bounces the better for me!

Originally posted by Spunky View Post
        Same here bill I only gave them 12" and they were brilliant
        Hey Bill, I used this advice along with a few others; Three Sisters Garden: Corn, Beans, Squash - A Native American tradition (except no squash due to pallet related collateral damage) as mentioned before I had really great swift cobs from plants grown 9/10 inches apart
        Last edited by Bohobumble; 08-01-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I have some Wilko's pond and crop black netting. Would that do that job being held up with some canes?

Sorry for taking over your thread Kristen.
          I am sure it would, but for squirrels you would need it on top aswell. My three legged spanial only needs a 2ft high fence.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

We tend to have a lot of foxes & squirrel's in the garden. Is there anyway I could stop them eating the plant once they start growing the corn?
            Our garden slopes down to a large pond and a river, but unfortunately both are infested with copyu ('ragondins') which are everywhere in Europe.
            Last summer they made their way up to the sweetcorn patch and demolished the entire crop!
            So you have my sympathy.
            I think sadly the only way to protect your crop is with fences although there are products on the market which claim to deter animals like foxes. Not so sure about squirrels.
            This year my solution is going to be putting the coypu traps out from this month and to eliminate as many as possible. We put (ironically) cracked corn in the traps, or other sweet things like parsnip and carrots. The worst thing is what to do with the coypu when they are in the trap as they are very hard to kill and very ferocious. I have used an air rifle but it is not always easy to kill cleanly even at close range, so I might consider (which is highly illegal) driving the cages two or three miles away and letting them free. The only other advice I've seen is to drown them in the cages, but that sounds even crueller to me! Couldn't do that.

Comment

Can I grow a mini sweetcorn eg minipop and a regular F1 eg swift on the same plot please?

Comment

Originally posted by the beadle View Post
                Can I grow a mini sweetcorn eg minipop and a regular F1 eg swift on the same plot please?
                If you find out, let me know, it could be useful for next year!

Comment

Originally posted by the beadle View Post
                  Yes. Minipop don't need pollination, so when the male tassels appear at the top of the plant break them off whilst still immature, and then they won't shed any pollen (on adjoining Sweetcorn crops)
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Lost Kingdoms of Central America on BBC FOUR right now, about the Olmec people and their growing the '3 sisters'

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I'd forgotten I'd posted in.
                      Can't wait to get my sweet corn started!!!
                      @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I'd forgotten I'd posted in.
                        Can't wait to get my sweet corn started!!!

Check the destructions on the pack, might be early for a few varieties, I sowed my Swift F1 today but they're not outdoors.

Comment

I don't sow my sweetcorn, which will be raised as a greenhouse crop, until 21 March. The outdoor ones I sow on 01-May.
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Last year I grew 7 plants (swift) in a 30L pot and surprisingly it worked ok, I watered and feed them heavily, I only got 1 big cob per plant (if another started forming I cut it off) but I still got 28 nice size corns from 4 pots which isnt bad, so Im really going to cram them in again this year.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                              Last year I grew 7 plants (swift) in a 30L pot and surprisingly it worked ok, I watered and feed them heavily, I only got 1 big cob per plant (if another started forming I cut it off) but I still got 28 nice size corns from 4 pots which isnt bad, so Im really going to cram them in again this year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54014[/ATTACH]
                              I mentioned already in this thread my harvest from Swift F1 last year

Comment

I bought some Bodacious F1 sweetcorn from Wilko only paid 10P, but after reading this thread I'm going to by Swift instead.
                                Did you buy Swift F1 in the end? I just looked up Bodacious F1 - it sounds tasty!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X