Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
    No. Squash doesn't suppress weeds
    Squash/pumpkins (and anything with broad leaves) do indeed suppress weeds, which means to minimise them.
    It doesn't mean that it kills all weeds.

In this instance, the broad foliage is acting as a (living) mulch: a mulch denies daylight to a seed, and daylight is the thing that makes plants (and weeds) grow.

you can also use chopped up weeds, cardboard, straw, shredded newspaper, dry soil, grass clippings, coffee grounds, etc as a weed-suppressing mulch. Or, if you really must, black plastic sheeting
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Our growing season is pretty short in the UK, so it's not *really* possible to grow sweetcorn "in succession".

You can, of course, use your freezer to store any surplus, stripping them off the cob to save space
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post

I cant see much advantage in growing different varieties to extend the season given that they freeze so well. But I can see lots of risk due to cross pollination.
        My intent wasn't to extend the season; more to try other types, especially more traditional varieties, it was only after purchasing the seed that I read about the issue of cross-pollination affecting the cobs themselves rather than just any progeny :/

I have a small freezer so that's not really an option (the only spare space is taken up with my cheese maturing/beer conditioning fridge) I am happy to eat seasonally... my last year's experience with swift with partial harvesting when ripe gave me about 6 weeks of corn harvest from one sowing period.

Which really brings me back to my original post about point of pollination for each variety mentioned so I can keep them separate.

I've been thinking that I might start the 'ornamental fiesta' in the unheated greenhouse early as that has a longer growing period, maybe even get that pollinating before the other types for this reason. Is anyone aware of how this variety tastes?

Thanking you!

Comment

I have grown different varieties together for years including open pollinated and the supersweet F1 types. I have NEVER found the flavour of any of the cobs affected to any extent that I have been able to register, though I imagine a cross with an ordinary maize might do this. The only reason I have moved entirely to a non hybrid variety as the only one I grow in the last couple of years is because it is so easy to save seed and get an identical plant next year especially when F1 sweetcorn seed is so extremely expensive.

The variety I grow is Sativa Early (Organic Gardening Catalogue) and I find it just as good as the F1 types. (though more susceptible to 'smut' in poor weather conditions)

Comment

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
            I have grown different varieties together for years including open pollinated and the supersweet F1 types. I have NEVER found the flavour of any of the cobs affected to any extent that I have been able to register, though I imagine a cross with an ordinary maize might do this.
            An interesting insight Bertie, when you say ordinary maize, do you mean the ornamental type I plan to grow or is that something else?

The variety I grow is Sativa Early (Organic Gardening Catalogue) and I find it just as good as the F1 types. (though more susceptible to 'smut' in poor weather conditions)
            A very good tip, I shall remember that when considering what to grow next growing period!

Thank you

Comment

I have grown different varieties together for years including open pollinated and the supersweet F1 types. I have NEVER found the flavour of any of the cobs affected to any extent that I have been able to register
              I'm glad its not been a problem for you but I am not inclined to risk it after reading on various forums of several people who have had problems. Here's a quote (from a different forum):

"Last year, I decided to carry out an experiment to test the claims made in a well known seed catalogue, that isolation from other sweet corn varieties was not required for the varieties Swift F1 and Lark F1.

It was a tough test as I grew 5 different varieties in the same bed. The varieties were Swift F1, Lark F1, Mirai White GT 1007, Honeydew, and a mystery sweet corn from a "Gardening Which" trial a few years ago.

All the varieties were obviously affected by cross-pollination with different coloured kernels or harder kernels, especially noticeable after cooking.

The advice must still be to only grow one variety of sweetcorn at the same time, unless they produce their pollen several weeks apart, such as an early variety and a late variety.
              Some of the resulting cobs had very tough, starchy kernels in amongst the tender sweet kernels.
              "
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Sorry to jump on your thread. I've read all every page and still a little unsure what to do.

I bought some Bodacious F1 sweetcorn from Wilko only paid 10P, but after reading this thread I'm going to by Swift instead.

So...... I start them off in my propagator from March until they are too tall. So do I then plant them into a bigger pot ready to plant in the ground?
                How many should I plant. I'm guessing there's only going be me and maybe my Mum & Dad eating them.
                How much space will they need?
                How do I know which is the male in order to pollinate them & how do i do this?

Sorry for all the question.
                @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Do not plant out until after last frost. If they get too big for their pots then pot them on into larger pots, but ideally that shouldn't be necessary (if you keep notes about dates if you find they get too big this year then perhaps delay sowing by a week next year).

You need to plant them out in a block, not a single row. I think 9 plants is the minimum, and at least 3 plants across the "row". So a long row three plants wide is fine, as is a square block

They will last probably 5 weeks (from first, bottom, cob to top 2nd / 3rd cob), maybe a bit more. They freeze well, so if you have excess freeze them when they are perfectly ripe, rather than hoping that they will last on the plant (even if they don't "go over" animals may decide they are hungry and steal them!). So question then is how many times will you and Mum + Dad, plus any BBQ etc. friends you have round eat over 5 weeks (plus frozen ones) ?

Check the seed packet for planting distance, but 18" apart, in each direction, would do for planning purposes.

The plants are both Male and Female. They grow a tall "Tassels" on the top, which sheds pollen and is carried by the wind onto "Silks" which are lots of thin strands which stick out of the female part and need to catch the pollen, and then those develop into the cobs.

Originally posted by NatalieCooke View Post
                  Sorry for all the question.
                  Definitely no need to apologise
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Sweetcorn will do far better from a direct sowing, but that isn't always easy in the British climate, so we have no option but to start indoors. I would advise starting the seed in blocks or in peat pots (or even home made paper ones) so that you can plant out with no root disturbance. Sweet corn hates root disturbance and you will not get the best plants if you damage them in transplanting. If you are forced by late frosts to pot on, give them plenty of space for the roots, or consider putting them out and protecting them with fleece or plastic cloches.

I still think you can grow more than one variety together without affecting taste, though it will stop you saving seed. A hybrid cross is useless in the next generation.... been there, done it, several times as we never learn!........ But that should be by achieving isolation within your plot, either with plants surrounded by other high growing plants (like climbing beans) or at opposite ends of the plot. As you can see by poor pollination, the pollen doesn't travel that easily between plants in a sheltered site.

Having said that, the worst problem we have is when our local farmers plant maize next to the boundary of our garden as a whole field of the stuff creates so much pollen that some is bound to blow over and cross pollinate the sweetcorn. Thankfully for the moment they seem to have given up on maize (too water hungry) and are growing sunflowers or wheat instead.

Comment

I was thinking about planting them into newspaper pots. I'm only going to grow one variety, just wating for Wilko to start stocking the seeds!!
                      We tend to have a lot of foxes & squirrel's in the garden. Is there anyway I could stop them eating the plant once they start growing the corn? I've never grown any veg outside before this will be are first year.
                      @thecluelessgardener

Comment

I never start sweet corn through direct sowing, always in pots and only plant out when as Kristen says the risk of frost is past. I may have to pot them on two or three times and plant out when between 12 and 15 inches tall.

Comment

I was thinking about planting them into newspaper pots. I'm only going to grow one variety, just wating for Wilko to start stocking the seeds!!
                          My local store has been putting their seeds on display for the last two weeks, have a look at their website to see if they are available?

Failing that, there's a sale on good dated seeds here; I just had a delivery of lots of exciting things and some freebies too: Sweet Corn Seeds from just 75p/packet

Comment

Originally posted by Bohobumble View Post
                            My local store has been putting their seeds on display for the last two weeks, have a look at their website to see if they are available?

Failing that, there's a sale on good dated seeds here; I just had a delivery of lots of exciting things and some freebies too: Sweet Corn Seeds from just 75p/packet

I've bought veg & flower seeds from that site before. Wasn't too happy with them. Most if not all of the instructions aren't even english! One pack just came with the seeds in a white foil pack with the seeds names and best before date.
                            i'll have look in Wilko 2moro.
                            @thecluelessgardener

Comment

I've bought veg & flower seeds from that site before. Wasn't too happy with them. Most if not all of the instructions aren't even english! One pack just came with the seeds in a white foil pack with the seeds names and best before date.
                              i'll have look in Wilko 2moro.
                              All the seeds I ordered (17 packs) were in their own branded packing in English, they added a couple of extra packets in as a bonus, one was a Kings Seeds pack, the other was a Lithuanian brand but they added an English sticker on the back.

It's the first time I ordered from them, but I am pretty happy so far - of course, I'm yet to see how they grow!

Comment

We tend to have a lot of foxes & squirrel's in the garden. Is there anyway I could stop them eating the plant once they start growing the corn? I've never grown any veg outside before this will be are first year.
                                I dont have foxes or squirrels but my springer spaniel loves them so I fence mine in with debris netting until they get establshed.If you have never grown them before you are in for a treat, its a most satysfying plant to grow and eat) good luck.

Kristen, on my small patch I cant afford to give them 18 inches space they seem to be happy enough with 12 inches, but that is swift which are not massively tall plants.
                                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X