No announcement yet.

What chilli variety are you growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've a couple of mystery that I sowed after a glass of wine and didn't label also

Yellow mushroom
    Jalapeņo
    Big Jim (smallest plant)
    Bulgarian carrot

Not many but there will be more next season

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Green Gerkin View Post
      Im feeling a bit left out as only growing two varieties;
      Basket of fire and
      A Spanish novelty variety (not sure I can mention the name on here!!)
      C'mon please tell! I'm intrigued...it's not Peter peppers cos I don't think they're Spanish. I'm racking my brains here....

Comment

1 cayenne
        2 hotscotch (those ones from the GYO mag)
        3 penis
        and best of all 3 padrón. These are the mildish large tapas peppers you get in Spain. Fry 3 or 4 for a starter in olive oil and sea salt. Delicious, slight bit of background heat, but the flavour is immense.
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Well, my freezer is full, I've ground down loads for spices and my preserve shelf is full. I'm not that keen on super hot food (not every day anyway!) the kids and the OH won't eat anything chilli like so I've had to cut down

I've got going
          orange hab,
          Red hab,
          Couple of lemon drop,
          Bulgarian carrot,
          Padron,
          Serrano
          And some cayennes.

Comment

Originally posted by ButternutSquash View Post
            Capsicum annuum are too mild and boring.
            Perfect for cooking with! I use these in most chutneys that require a little kick that doesn't kill every other flavour you've added.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
              and best of all 3 padrón. These are the mildish large tapas peppers you get in Spain. Fry 3 or 4 for a starter in olive oil and sea salt. Delicious, slight bit of background heat, but the flavour is immense.
              Yep, I agree. Love these, but I do find one or two can give a fair kick.... Must be eaten with a beer and shared with friends!

Comment

This is all very exciting
                Some of you are growing chilli's I've never heard of. Which isn't really surprising as there are hundreds of varieties. I will be picking Brains in the future about over wintering as I failed miserably last year. that's not to upsetting as it was a game of Russian roulette with chilli's got 8 varieties off eBay, but they all came in the same packet, and even after fruiting it wasn't always obvious which was which. The only one I did name was satan's kiss. I'm quite new to this chilli growing, can you tell? As we still have dried chilli's from lays year the Russian roulette continues

I'm only growing the stupidly hot ones to see if I can. Than I will be asking for help as to what to do with them

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                  1 cayenne
                  2 hotscotch (those ones from the GYO mag)
                  3 penis
                  I think I need some padrón in my life
                  Bex

Comment

Does anyone know if there's a variety just called 'Jamaican'? A friend gave me some seeds and I have a couple of these plants now - googling 'Jamaican chilli' brings up images of Scotch Bonnet types, is that what i can expect? Are they hot? I'm intrigued.
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Just 2 royal blacks (from seed) and a random one I was gifted from waitrose.

Philthy's post just reminded me I need to dry the chillis from the waitrose plant (looking worse for wear).

Comment

Spanish Nagas..................looking strong with a few buds and open flowers
                        Choc Habaneros................all 3 plants looking a little poorly but seem to getting better
                        Scotch Bonnets................first two tiny little fruits have appeared in the last few days
                        Caribbean Antillais.............looking strong with a few buds and open flowers
                        Last edited by Gren; 10-07-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                          Does anyone know if there's a variety just called 'Jamaican'? A friend gave me some seeds and I have a couple of these plants now - googling 'Jamaican chilli' brings up images of Scotch Bonnet types, is that what i can expect? Are they hot? I'm intrigued.
                          I grew Jamaican hot red a couple of years ago. I think I had them from the chilli seed swap on here. They did look similar to a scotch bonnet. Like a mini squashed lantern and they were very hot! Think you can get hot red, yellow and chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                            What on Earth does everyone do with all these chillis? Does anyone actually use the superhots?
                            You could put them in a burger: Spicy burger test puts Argus reporters in hospital - Journalism News from HoldtheFrontPage
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Or a nice curry: 'Killer Kismot curry' contest leaves two in hospital in Edinburgh | Metro News
                              He-Pep!

Comment

I love hot foods, but excessive heat makes me ill. I once tried some extra hot sauce, a quarter teaspoon, on lunch. After a while my scalp was flushing hot and cold, and I felt sick. I was told my face had gone white. A colleague ate the sauce without problems, and an Indian chap tried some, and did not suffer. Some people are tolerant of heat, either due to genetics or habituation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X