What chilli variety are you growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
    What on Earth does everyone do with all these chillis? Does anyone actually use the superhots?
    I throw mine whole into curries and chillis. A single habanero will add a decent bit of kick to anything without being over the top. The crop from a single plant can go a long way like that. I'm just finishing off last year's crop - from one orange habanero plant

Comment

I pickled a whole lot last year in a brine made of 2/3 white wine vinegar 1/3 boiled water and a good measure of salt, flavoured with bay leaf and tarragon. They are a great condiment, a bit like the pickled peppers you can buy in middle eastern shops only more crunchy and with interesting flavours. Make a cut lengthways in the chillies so they don't float and pack them tightly in kilner jars.

I'm growing

Ring of fire
      Vegetarian ( a favourite with the slugs, sigh)
      Rocotillo
      Aji Lemon
      Hungarian hot wax
      And espelettes

Comment

Originally posted by Gren View Post
        I throw mine whole into curries and chillis. A single habanero will add a decent bit of kick to anything without being over the top. The crop from a single plant can go a long way like that. I'm just finishing off last year's crop - from one orange habanero plant
        I don't know about you, but with Capsicum chinense it is not the heat but the flavour that excels. There is heat, but the flavour is unique. There are heatless forms, I grew some once.

Comment

ButternutSquash- I have been looking for a mild variety of Capsicum Chinense with that gorgeous fruity flavour. What variety did you grow?

Comment

Originally posted by More basil View Post
            ButternutSquash- I have been looking for a mild variety of Capsicum Chinense with that gorgeous fruity flavour
            This might help you!
            http://www.refiningfirechiles.com/chinense.html
            Last edited by Scarlet; 11-07-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by More basil View Post
              ButternutSquash- I have been looking for a mild variety of Capsicum Chinense with that gorgeous fruity flavour. What variety did you grow?
              It was many years ago, and all I can remember was that they came from a small UK grower, maybe Simpsons, or Real Seeds known as Vida Verde back then. Google Aji Dulce. for example:

Aji Dulce Chilli Seeds

They were not as good as hot ones, but quite nice. Ask on Chillis Galore, you'll get good replies.

Comment

Simpsons Seeds have Vegetarian which is a mild C. chinense. I have had poor results with Simpsons Seeds, but others seem to find them okay.

Comment

I'm doing Prairie Fire- a small bush type with masses of hot little peppers, Joes Long- a really long milder pepper, and a super hot Naga jolokia just for fun.
                  Hussar!

Comment

I am growing:
                    1 naga - 6 fruits and lots of flowers
                    3 scotch bonnet red - no fruits, lots of flowers
                    1 paper lantern - no flowers yet but a big plant
                    1 jalapeno - some fruits and flowers
                    6 peruvian purple - lots of flowers and a few fruits on each
                    6 apache - loads of fruits on each
                    1 thai demon - lots of flowers and some fruits
                    1 explosive ember - lots of flowers
                    1 volcano - lots of flowers and some fruits
                    I tried overwintering a few plants but after initially looking ok they all dried out so had to start again this year. I hope to overwinter with more success this year.

Comment

I only have 3 plants this year, scotch bonnet big sun, demon red and Fresno supreme. I'm going to donate the big sun to my brother as he has a porch area that is a total sun trap. Last year I gave him 3 chilli plants, one of them was a scotch bonnet and it grew to a few feet tall and produced loads of fruit. I've over wintered chilli's before with reasonable success. I started my plants off pretty late in the season, probably July time and got a reasonable harvest before the plant packs in for winter, then all I did was prune it and left it to live on the kitchen windowsill like a naked bonsai. I think it was about early March time it came back to life and I had a chilli crop shortly after May.
                      Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Apache is our favourite. It's dependable, prolific and tasty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X