• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=ZFn9TT_rlXU
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
      I've never heard of Comfrey attracting them.

It's one of the few plants in the allotment they seem to leave alone.

I can never bear to cut it back until the bees have finished with it, I usually make a tea with it then but maybe I'll try putting some leaves around what ever the slugs and snails are fancying for dinner.
      I've heard the slugs don't like the fuzzy leaves so thats why they avoid it, but i wasn't sure how well it worked?!!!

Comment

Slugs are evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        Sanity is for those with no grasp of reality

Comment

I now have exactly 0 lettuce plants left. B***** snails
          Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

I thought I had sown duff carrot seeds until I worked out the slugs and snails were lying in there hammocks waiting for the carrots to germinate then they had a munch party in the carrot bed!

Why don't slugs and snails like WEEDS!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Pellets all the way ...

Comment

my runner beans seem to be a favorite this year, dont remember suffering from them as much before.

Comment

I've lost all my cabbages and squash

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                  Attached Files

Comment

Beer

Attached Files

Comment

When i started this topic i had lost my lettuce and some carrots and they were tucking into my pea plants. Since then i have been using pellets and beer traps! So far nothing has been touched and the traps have been working really well!!
                      The only thing that has been touched is one of my cucumber seedlings which was in my polytunnel. Grrr!

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                        I would have thought cutting in two with scissors was pretty instantaneous.
                        Not necessarily. A different physiology. Snakes are likewise cold-blooded and don't have a spine... Do you have a snakeskin belt? The standard industry method for obtaining snakeskin (virtually all of it hails from Asia) is to skin them alive.
                        Once they've got the skin, what remains is discarded and takes anything up to 4 days to die....
                        Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                        Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                          K of A your are a kind hearted soul but this is a cruel world, if we didn't control pests and diseases we would be overrun with plagues of em.
                          As you know dear Bill I don't use poisons or traps, I go out at around midnight, gather them up and relocate them safely and unharmed round the front of my house where they can't do any harm.
                          [Before you say it!, I've not found that they come back. Though the theory that they can find their way back suggests a level of intelligence and awareness we've not given them credit for, which only serves to make me more resolute in my beliefs and moral code, but that's another matter.]
                          And yet I'm not 'overrun'.

Now, I fully appreciate that most people take a different view. I understand that. But cutting them in half with scissors? Entombing them in glass jars? They're still living things, even if you don't like them.
                          If 'you' decide killing is the only viable option, then okay, but at least do it quickly and humanely. That's what I'm saying.
                          Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                          Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
                            Not necessarily. A different physiology. Snakes are likewise cold-blooded and don't have a spine...
                            Snakes do have spines Snake Facts - Body of a Snake

Comment

I went up to my allotment yesterday to discover that the three tomato plants I planted last weekend now look like this:

To say I was gutted is an understatement. I grew them from seed and had waited until they were a good 10in tall before planting them out, thinking it might give them a chance against the onslaught. How wrong could I have been?

I planted out some peas and beans, but they used up the remainder of my slug pellets, so the squash and courgettes I'd been planning to plant have come back home with me and are safely ensconced on the back balcony. They're only going in the ground once I'm restocked with slug pellets and have given the plot a thorough Nemaslugging.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I am having a bad time as well. Got some chilli, tomato and onion plants in grow racks outside. Slugs have been at half of them. Tried a non killing method of getting rid of them by putting the pots in trays full of salt which the pot saucer sat on but leaves were still being eaten. Then put coffee grounds around the base of all the plants and even that didn't stop them. Some blue pellets have made a difference but I only tried this on a few plants. Slugs have even been seen on the kitchen floor as I have plants on the west facing window sill and I am sure they have chilli-seeking radar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X