Slugs and Snails!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
    I would have thought cutting in two with scissors was pretty instantaneous.
    They're molluscs. They're cold-blooded and they don't have spines. Sure you'll kill them - eventually ...
    Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
    Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
      They're molluscs. They're cold-blooded and they don't have spines. Sure you'll kill them - eventually ...
      K of A your are a kind hearted soul but this is a cruel world, if we didn't control pests and diseases we would be overrun with plagues of em.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I've had loads more this year
        I go around collecting them also lay planks of wood on the soil turn them over loads of slugs
        Also get free beer . I put jam jar in the corner of the Raised beds with a bit of slate or wood to cover it leaving an inch gap
        The picked slug are left on the path and disappear
        Over night Something likes pickled slug .

Comment

Keep a look-out for drunken pigeons.......

Comment

Ian also suffering now have planted my lettuce in a pot. It's siting on very coarse gravel and have just been and looked at it half has been eaten last night

Will have to get some organic slug pellets
            Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

I planted out lots of greens yesterday - I daren't look this morning. They are such a nuisance. I have far more snails again this year so far. I think I've only seen a couple of slugs, but hundreds of snails
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My little garden is in central london. The only chance I have of getting a harvest is with pellets I'm afraid. Ya see there's a constant stream of new slugs moving in from the neighbours gardens so the only thing that works is a few pellet around the lettuce.
                Hussar!

Comment

I'm having terrible time with the little blighted Thebes eaten 20 of my cabbages and squash going to have to resow

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Does anyone know if comfrey leaves work well?

Comment

This Guardian article suggests that comfrey works very well as a diversion - if they encounter comfrey first they'll tuck in and not bother continuing to your other veg. But it does seem to rely on ideal conditions: dry, clear ground with no other distractions.

P.S. I find nematodes to be very effective, but they're not much use if the slugs are coming from next door, where you haven't applied them.
                      Last edited by WilliamD; 27-05-2014, 07:50 PM.
                      My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Maybe sprinkle the pellets round perimeter, away from foody plants?

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamD View Post
                          This Guardian article suggests that comfrey works very well as a diversion - if they encounter comfrey first they'll tuck in and not bother continuing to your other veg. But it does seem to rely on ideal conditions: dry, clear ground with no other distractions.

P.S. I find nematodes to be very effective, but they're not much use if the slugs are coming from next door, where you haven't applied them.
                          I've never heard of Comfrey attracting them.

It's one of the few plants in the allotment they seem to leave alone.

I can never bear to cut it back until the bees have finished with it, I usually make a tea with it then but maybe I'll try putting some leaves around what ever the slugs and snails are fancying for dinner.

Comment

This year has been awful for them! My greenhouse was overrun the other week and they chomped through a whole heap of seedlings. I work shift work and am away from home a few days at a time so there was nothing I could do.

I throw them very hard at a wall, kills em straight away. That or drown in a bucket and law on the grass for the birds/hogs etc

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I use various methods and haven't had too bad a time so far, although the wet weather does make the problem much worse.

1. nematodes. Every inch of my garden has been watered with them twice so far. Not perfect, there are still slugs about, and the nematodes are much less effective against snails.

2. remove any I see (including clumps of eggs). I put them in a jam jar and put the lid on. Sorry.

3. Copper. I grow a lot of my veg in pots and I find if I surround the pot with adhesive copper tape it works very well as long as none of the foliage touches another surface such as a wall. I've had slug free lettuce and cabbages with this method. I'm experimenting with standing pots on the copper impregnated "slug and weed mat" instead, particularly where lots of smallish pots are involved eg in the cold frame. So far results are promising. I've also had success with putting the copper tape around a large drip tray in the greenhouse.
                              Last edited by Penellype; 28-05-2014, 09:29 PM.
                              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Hi guys just found this on you tube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBeKS64_xc
                                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X