No announcement yet.

Show us ya pond!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be inclined to agree with "Mothhawk" but hey! what's done is done!

But agree with Bill n Darcy, hope you do persevere and pull the project off, it looks "Brill"
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Well the sealant arrived so that's the inlet sorted, just waiting for it to go off then start the refill & de-creasing............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Rain Stop Play

Well everything is going ok so far, the pond is full (I think, will come back to that in a mo).....Unfortunately due to having an island it created a few creases that can be seen....................oh well, never mind. Right, back to the pond being full, as you know it is being fed from a stream. I have highlighted in red where I am taking the water from (flower bucket...).....from the bucket a length of 32mm pipe enters the pond at a slight gradient 2 foot below the water level.........Am I right in thinking that the pond will max out when it reaches the same level as the bucket?......if so, am I right in thinking I won't need an overflow back into the stream...........At a guess it appears to have reached that max.

Attached Files
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 06-04-2014, 01:28 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Looks good

My pond is fed by a pipe from a downpipe. To ensure that water flows along that pipe it is downhill but consequently it enters the liner below the surface. Its a watertight gasket / seal, and the pipe is brown underground waste pipe, with O-ring seals, so when it rains hard the level in the pond rises to overflow point, and the water backs up the inlet pipe. Dunno if your "inlet" is like that though? The water won't exceed the height of the stream that feeds it - although in a flood it will also be able to maintain the level of the flood of course
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Cheers Kristen, so just to confirm, the surface level of the pond max's out when it reaches the same height as the entry point (hole in bottom of flower bucket). In a downpour, more water will run down the stream possibly over the top of the bucket...........is the entry point still the same? i.e maybe 12" below the stream if it goes over the bucket...........hope this all makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Well everything is going ok so far, the pond is full (I think, will come back to that in a mo).....Unfortunately due to having an island it created a few creases that can be seen....................oh well, never mind. Right, back to the pond being full, as you know it is being fed from a stream. I have highlighted in red where I am taking the water from (flower bucket...).....from the bucket a length of 32mm pipe enters the pond at a slight gradient 2 foot below the water level.........Am I right in thinking that the pond will max out when it reaches the same level as the bucket?......if so, am I right in thinking I won't need an overflow back into the stream...........At a guess it appears to have reached that max.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43799[/ATTACH]
              Wow looking great
              In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Thanks Darcy, well the rain has stopped so am gonna go fight the good fight.............I may be back with more questions.........

Comment

Assuming no "leaks" from the pipe connecting the flower pot (in the red box you drew), to the pond then the water level in the pond will be able to rise until it is the same height as the flower pot - i.e. whatever level the water would escape from the pipe (if it leaks) or the joint between flower pot and pipe (if THAT leaks!) otherwise the level at which the flower pot would overflow (if nothing else leaks )

If that is above the lip of the pond (looks like it in the picture?) then the pond will just overflow at the edge. You could create a "low point" at a suitable point on the edge so that you can encourage any overflow to head off in that direction - perhaps into a boggy area, although (allowing for heavy winter rains) it would probably help if the water then found a way to escape somewhere - e.g. back to the stream.

Wish I had a stream that I could harness to flow into my pond
                  Last edited by Kristen; 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM.
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

It will be superb when the island plants grow over the liner, I still think you would have been better building the island on top of the liner. As for levels its in the lap (no pun intended) of the Gods now.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Patience Bill, Patience..........the island will compliment the pond border with large pebbles & 20mm gravel.

Kristen: I already have an overflow pipe from the pond back into the stream. Was just undecided whether to connect it or not. Think I will place safe & connect it up as it's not gonna do any arm if not needed.

I really do appreciate all the input & advice.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        hope this all makes sense.
                        Who gives a "Shoot" that looks "Ace"
                        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Slowly Taking Shape.

Well, after a half day playing in the rain, the jigsaw is coming together:

Kristen:
                          The overflow issue is sorted. Woke up this morning to find the pond level about 2" from the top..............so that made my mind up. As the original overflow was now approx 9" below the surface, I went through to the stream side & removed it so as not to damage the liner. In it's place I sunk a length of guttering into the mud at water level under the liner, fed it under the fence overhanging the stream. The liner was then moulded inside the gutter. Luckily while I was doing this, it started persisting it down........the water ran away like a dream..................see pic 1

Bill, I will sort the island out, promise...........

Attached Files

Comment

Proper nice that!

Can just imagine you wading through that just like monty
                            In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Cheers Darc, still a long way to go but weather permitting hope to finish it tomorrow.

Comment

Looking good BM, can I come fishing when its done?
                                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X