A Pain In The Back!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pain In The Back!

I'm sure everyone agrees that digging is a pain in the back. I knew it needed doing & there was no way out of it so..........dah, dah, dah.................I found a metre of 20mm blue pipe, a 2" bolt with a wing nut & thought there must be a use for that.....The 2 Ronnies "Four Candles" sprung to mind..............so off I went down tut shed and made this lickle addition to my trusted spade. I know you may not want to set about your tools with a drill so some kind of bracket may be an option. Once I got the technique right, it was a breeze to use, no bending down to the neck of the spade, just dig, lean the spade back & lift the handle........what a doddle, hope you enjoy.
    If you want any pics on the technique, just give me a shout but it's so easy to use.

Attached Files
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Nutter!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Aye, but my back dunt hurt.............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

There was an article in the Daily Wail last week about a remodelled spade. I'll see if I can find the video it came with.

Edit: Here you go Gardener invents an DOUBLE-HANDED spade to make digging easier | Mail Online
        Last edited by KittyColdNose; 10-02-2014, 07:33 PM.
        When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
        If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

The one in the Mail looks a bit fiddly, I'll go for BM's ingenious invention.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I have a wolf terrex auto spade. Bought it second hand many moons ago but just don't like it. Anyway, snot the same as your own invention. Well done matey

Comment

Originally posted by KittyColdNose View Post
              There was an article in the Daily Wail last week about a remodelled spade. I'll see if I can find the video it came with.

Edit: Here you go Gardener invents an DOUBLE-HANDED spade to make digging easier | Mail Online
              Cheers Kitty, I watched the video last night and reminded me of apiece of equipt you'd find in the gym. Anyway, my talents don't stretch that far........gimme a piece o' pipe & I'm ok.........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                The one in the Mail looks a bit fiddly, I'll go for BM's ingenious invention.
                Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                I have a wolf terrex auto spade. Bought it second hand many moons ago but just don't like it. Anyway, snot the same as your own invention. Well done matey
                Thanks guys, I was beginning to think G4 was right...........
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 10-02-2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

You could always give up digging, like so many of us have done!

I stopped digging the veg plot 4 or 5 years ago and now just apply thick mulches and let the worms do the work. Crops are better than ever and the soil has a wonderful crumbly structure.

But the best bit is I don't end up barely able to walk after a session in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
                    You could always give up digging, like so many of us have done!

I stopped digging the veg plot 4 or 5 years ago and now just apply thick mulches and let the worms do the work. Crops are better than ever and the soil has a wonderful crumbly structure.

But the best bit is I don't end up barely able to walk after a session in the garden.
                    I will after this year but because I was starting from scratch, there was no avoiding it.
                    Last edited by Bigmallly; 10-02-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Well, just to confirm, I emptied 1 builders bag of compost & a half builders bag of sand today with said implement & I must say it was a breeze..........

Comment

Can you use your extra handle on other garden tools BM?

Comment

I don't see why not, the handle is removable with the wing nut but it would mean me drilling holes in other tools. I was thinking of using it on my rake. I think the benefits are in the pulling & lifting actions rather then pushing & digging.
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 11-02-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Maybe it would work on a hoe too
                            Its a really good idea if it helps your back

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Maybe it would work on a hoe too
                              Its a really good idea if it helps your back
                              It's been a godsend..............thank you god but why couldn't you send me it a few years ago?.........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X