• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot Sanguina
    Carrot Red Giant
    Pak choi
    He-Pep!

Comment

• Mixed lettuce and 3 pots each containing a pinch of spring onion seeds.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Filled in a few gaps with some more mange tout and Boltardy beetroot. Sowed Ubraciona and Paris Cos lettuce. And sowed some red kale. Horribly late, but the sunshine is so consistent that I'm beginning to believe it'll never end.
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

• Garlic chives, Coriander, Cress, Dill and Rocket don't you just love free seeds
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            Garlic chives, Coriander, Cress, Dill and Rocket don't you just love free seeds
            Snap!

I was afraid it was too late in the year to plant them but stuck them in anyway.

Comment

• Certainly not too late for coriander and rocket, both of which are less likely to bolt if sown after the longest day. Cress is very quick anyway. Not sure about garlic chives and dill.

If you want something niice and crunchy in your salad that grows in about a week, try sprouting alfalfa seeds. You can grow them all year round in a jar in the house.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• I sowed coriander for the windowsill a couple of days ago. Today I sowed a mild and a hot mustard green and kohl rabi.
                Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

• Coriander, parsley, beetroot (Chioggia, free with GYO September) and more French beans as the other dwarf beans have been well and truly snugged.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• That's interesting Florence - is there still time to sow beetroot? Did you sow straight into the ground or into cells? My beetroot have done nothing this year and I'd love another go.
                    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

• Just sowed a trough full of Tendersweet carrots - so that I could join in this thread again

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Just sowed a trough full of Tendersweet carrots - so that I could join in this thread again
                        Are you growing these carrots in a trough in your greenhouse ?

Was thinking of sowings some, but they'd be outside, isn't too late for outdoor carrots?
                        DottyR

Comment

• Its outdoors Dotty. Could move it into the GH if they don't do much before the cold sets in.
                          Just sown some beetroot outdoors and scattered some old carrot and radish seeds in spare bits of ground. If they grow its a bonus - if not, nothing lost.

Comment

• took a punt on some more Pak Choi...............
                            seeing as the last lot bolted as usual
                            ...every bloomin year
                            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                              Sowed Florence fennel, more kohl rabi, and some cabbages to overwinter.
                              What is Kohi Rabi - I've seen seeds in garden seeds but no idea what it is or what it tastes like

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forumss

Comment

• Originally posted by vegboi View Post
                                What is Kohi Rabi - I've seen seeds in garden seeds but no idea what it is or what it tastes like
                                It's a brassica that develops a swollen stem a bit like celeriac. Best picked when the stem is between golf and tennis ball size, after that it starts to get a bit woody. You can cook the leaves like kale, and the stem can be eaten raw in salads, or cooked, it's good roasted or steamed or lightly boiled. The leaves taste pretty much the same as kale, the stem bit is sweet and tender and mild flavoured. if you've ever nibbled the stalks of broccoli that's the flavour it has.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X