No announcement yet.

Vegboi Mark's Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I would get rid of all those slabs, and just use some of them to make a central pathway.

Comment

How big is the GH Mark? AS Rusty says - a central pathway and leave the outside edges to grow in!

Comment

I agree re the path, personaly I would pave the lot with a weed barrier underneath, or pave the centre and have raised beds at the sides, You going to have a lot of weeds coming up in that bare soil, action now could save you a continual pain in the whatsisit. In your case the advice to plant what you are going to eat is good, you can end up with lots of stuff you dont want and no space for the suff you do want. Keep it simple but do it well. Lettuce would be a given and other salad stuff, tomatoes in the gh maybe a cucumber or two. Just sit and think what you mainly eat. Potatoes? some early spuds would be good, sweet corn? I find that sweet corn is fascinating to grow and freezes well. Onions? seeds or sets.
        Just try not to be seduced by the rarer varieties of stuff until you have mastered the basics.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          How big is the GH Mark? AS Rusty says - a central pathway and leave the outside edges to grow in!
          Thanks for the advice GH is 12 by 6 and had a raised bed in so I took it away. And brought slabs from old plot to fill in . Guess I made a mistake. I was told to use buckets for toms aubergine .

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
            I agree re the path, personaly I would pave the lot with a weed barrier underneath, or pave the centre and have raised beds at the sides, You going to have a lot of weeds coming up in that bare soil, action now could save you a continual pain in the whatsisit. In your case the advice to plant what you are going to eat is good, you can end up with lots of stuff you dont want and no space for the suff you do want. Keep it simple but do it well. Lettuce would be a given and other salad stuff, tomatoes in the gh maybe a cucumber or two. Just sit and think what you mainly eat. Potatoes? some early spuds would be good, sweet corn? I find that sweet corn is fascinating to grow and freezes well. Onions? seeds or sets.
            Just try not to be seduced by the rarer varieties of stuff until you have mastered the basics.
            I'm planning on growing the following

Cut and grow again lettuce
            Cucumber
            Aubergine
            Squash
            Kale
            Green beans
            Sweet corn
            Cabbage
            Sprouts
            Late pots but can't decide in early or in between
            Beetroot
            Some James Wong range cucomelons ekectric daisy seeds, , inca berries goji berries white strawberries eucalyptus lemon bush , bergamot seeds.
            Raspberries
            Gooseberries
            Blackcurrants
            Blackberries
            Longenberey
            Red currants
            Callaloo
            Rhubarb
            Herbs and flowers

Comment

Where are the Tomatoes? Wheres the onions?
              yes I prefer large is pots to grow bags.

Thats quite a list. If you grow half of that lot you will have done well.
              Last edited by Bill HH; 14-01-2014, 11:47 PM.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                Where are the Tomatoes? Wheres the onions?
                yes I prefer large is pots to grow bags.

Thats quite a list. If you grow half of that lot you will have done well.
                I do have tom seed too wasn't sure about onions, I wondered what can I plant together in the same bed as that's what I'm struggling with. So about to go to plot you all think that I should get rid of pathway then but what about the benches inside do I get rid or move

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I'd get rid of all the paving slabs apart from the path down the middle and a couple of rows at the far end - then put your staging (benches) there for potting etc.
                  He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                    I'd get rid of all the paving slabs apart from the path down the middle and a couple of rows at the far end - then put your staging (benches) there for potting etc.
                    Ok then plant into the bare soil underneath or add anything to it?

Even if I planned to grow in buckets? I just arrived at plot and water has come in unsure from where

Last edited by vegboi; 15-01-2014, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Wouldn't worry too much about the water Vegboi - everywhere is waterlogged at the moment. But you could make raised beds either side of the path to help drainage. Why are you so set on growing in containers? If you plant straight in the ground it'll be a lot easier to keep your plants watered in summer.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

As it's you first season on the plot, why not leave one side paved, then try growing some stuff in buckets on one side, and some in the ground on the other side, and see what does best? There's no need to make all these labour intensive decisions right at the start!
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by vegboi View Post
                            I'm planning on growing the following

Cut and grow again lettuce
                            Cucumber
                            Aubergine
                            Squash
                            Kale
                            Green beans
                            Sweet corn
                            Cabbage
                            Sprouts
                            Late pots but can't decide in early or in between
                            Beetroot
                            Some James Wong range cucomelons ekectric daisy seeds, , inca berries goji berries white strawberries eucalyptus lemon bush , bergamot seeds.
                            Raspberries
                            Gooseberries
                            Blackcurrants
                            Blackberries
                            Longenberey
                            Red currants
                            Callaloo
                            Rhubarb
                            Herbs and flowers

Are you really planning on growing all these crops in your greenhouse?

"Kale, Green beans, Sweet corn, Cabbage, Sprouts, Late pots but can't decide in early or in between , Beetroot"

All the above are hardy and best grown outside on the main allotment.

"Raspberries, Gooseberries, Blackcurrants, Blackberries, Red currants, Rhubarb"

All of these will take up an awful lot of space and are best grown on the main plot.

Blackberries and raspberries might be best grown along a fence.

Not sure what you mean by Longenberey though.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                              Are you really planning on growing all these crops in your greenhouse?

"Kale, Green beans, Sweet corn, Cabbage, Sprouts, Late pots but can't decide in early or in between , Beetroot"

All the above are hardy and best grown outside on the main allotment.

"Raspberries, Gooseberries, Blackcurrants, Blackberries, Red currants, Rhubarb"

All of these will take up an awful lot of space and are best grown on the main plot.

Blackberries and raspberries might be best grown along a fence.

Not sure what you mean by Longenberey though.
                              Sorry for the confusion I'm planning on growing everything listed about from fruit trees n potatoes by seed. I guess it will only be the cucumber toms and aubergine that will be in the GH everything else outdoors . Just a lady on the plot told me to flag the gh but I didn't understand why. I'll be guided by the expertise on here . If you think I should plant straight in to the ground.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Mark I have a couple of paving slabs in the middle of my GH then I plant into the soil. It makes it easier for me because I can water the borders well, then go camping for a few days without asking anyone to see to my crops.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 15-01-2014, 05:56 PM.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X