No announcement yet.

Vegboi Mark's Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got down to the plot, first day in a few weeks - the sun was shining and it was great to see the tulips and early Rhubarb make an appearance . I turned over a few beds and I dug a trench in my bean bed and put veg peelings in the bottom ready for the peas. And most excitedly I planted my onion sets- first veg to be planted on my new plot. I also started to chit my pots but worried about snow. How's everyone else getting on? My neighbour has loverly young Tom plants already in his green house feel so behind .

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Attached Files

Comment

Just a query, are you doing standard peas? You need a lot of plants to get a decent amount of garden peas. I planted 2 rows 3 seeds wide of about 8-9ft and got about in total 4kilo's of peas after shelling so need to decide how many to do this year.
      Last edited by Jamesy_uk; 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM.
      My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
        Just a query, are you doing standard peas? You need a lot of plants to get a decent amount of garden peas. I planted 2 rows 3 seeds wide of about 8-9ft and got about in total 4kilo's of peas after shelling so need to decide how many to do this year.
        Hi James this is my first year I think I'm going to grow broad verbs and green beans . Apparently I need 60 broad been plants for my trench unsure if that's right as it sounds allot

Comment

Ahh beans is a different matter but yeh 60 broad beans is a lot of beans hehe, depends if you plan to freeze/dry them in which case you can never get enough
          My new Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
            Ahh beans is a different matter but yeh 60 broad beans is a lot of beans hehe, depends if you plan to freeze/dry them in which case you can never get enough
            To be honest I don't like them but my grandparents do so I said I'd grow them for them. Have you got much started yet James

Comment

Does anyone have the free supplements with last months GYO magazine I threw mine out stupidly and wanted to order a few things . Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Can't you get the 'online' version and order it on line?

If not I've still got mine.
                DottyR

Comment

I'll try that thanks Dorothy x

Comment

Morning all - been Lorded in to a false sense of security day two of fog and cold, complete contrast to beginning of week when it was sunny and I thought spring had started. Hope we don't get snow like we did this time last year.

Comment

Hate to be the glass half empty person but my Dad used to say Murphy's Law quite clearly states:
                      'Whatever can happen will happen and usually at the worst possible time'

There's a million variations on this but that's the one I grew up with
                      My new Blog.

Comment

Companion Planting - can anyone tell me if they plant things together in beds ? I've got things I need to put out but I'm too scared too commit- but I know if I don't I'll loose my onions broad beans celery and beets . I have beets onions broad beans and miniature peas and sweet peas to go in. I have 11 beds to fill. The largest bed I plan to put my potatoes in . My green beans I am going to put in the bed I've put the canes in. Hope you can make the picture out

Attached Files

Comment

Mark! "Bang em out" most crops you have mentioned are pretty hardy anyway, apart from the "Celery"

And maybe thinking you are getting "Companion planting" n "Crop Rotation" a little mixed up!

I may be wrong!

It's your first "Major Year" newly dug beds etc, so crop rotation should not be an issue!

So plant, experiment n above all else, have fun with it!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Well I finally bit the bullet and planted my early and main crop potatoes and my onions and garlic and celery and dwarf peas . This was only yesterday today half my broad beans have been eaten - can anyone advise how this is possible I'm guessing it's slugs - is there anything I can plant that will deter them ? Thanks

Attached Files

Comment

How big were your BBeans? some of mine were nibbled a little bit, but think some pigeons may have had a go, afraid I put a few slug pellets around mine.
                              DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                                How big were your BBeans? some of mine were nibbled a little bit, but think some pigeons may have had a go, afraid I put a few slug pellets around mine.
                                Sorry I have only just seen your reply- they were 5-6 inch I've resorted to slug pellets

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X