Peas - round or wrinkled?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Its just my enquiring mind, Snadger, and I know there's always someone who has the answer (even if its rubbish)
    How do you know its rubbish? Have you had a lasting converstaion with a wrinkle seeded or smooth pea recently?

Believe what you want, but when 'Auld wrinkly' succumbs to mould just remember snadger told you so!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well, I'm about to start some sweet peas in root trainers (since I seem to have a lot of them) and some packets say you should soak the seeds overnight in warm water before sowing. Does that help...........
      I pulled up most of this year's sweet peas, and there were some (still greenish) seed pods on, which I split open and put the peas in a tin foil dish on the windowsill to ripen off. The blummin' things started to sprout, so I had to sow them in a pot and put them back outside. So I reckon they sprout faster if they're moist, and also if they are in daylight too.

But if I was going to soak the dried seed, I reckon I'd then leave them on kitchen roll to germinate before sowing, so there was no chance of them rotting in the compost.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
        Whilst were on the subject of "Sweet Peas"

After watching "Monty's" trials n tributes last year on GW! It seemed spring sown one's far bettered!

Any thought's, experiences?
        I sow mine February / March time indoors then as soon as I see a bit of green or root appearing from under the loo roll they go out in the unheated GH. Seems to work for me.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Believe what you want, but when 'Auld wrinkly' succumbs to mould just remember snadger told you so!
          I wouldn't have dared say that in front of Potty, Snadge. You're a brave man
          Lots of techniques for sowing peas. sweet or otherwise. For the record, I have some in soaking overnight and others (Unwins sweetpeas) that expressly say on the packet "Do not chip or soak before sowing" -and of course, I always follow the instructions!!
          Confusing innit

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            I'd then leave them on kitchen roll to germinate before sowing, so there was no chance of them rotting in the compost.
            Of course, they can still rot after you've done this, if the compost is kept too wet
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just revisited this thread - thanks again for all the helpful/entertaining answers.

I read recently that wrinkled seeds hold water on their surface whilst round seeds shed it so are better in cold wet winters as they don't rot as easily.
              Since I'm going to grow peas in a GH this winter (meeces permitting) where I can control the watering and it shouldn't be as cold as outdoors, I'm tempted to try some wrinklies as I have lots (that's peas, rary).

Winter Pea House thread = https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...tml?highlight=

Any thoughts or am I completely bonkers?

Comment

Are they hardy in low temps? Good idea to try them,fleece or metal shelving might help keep mice off & it reminds you there’s something in there

Comment

I'd be tempted to start them of indoors then planting out once they've broke the surface, they'd be less likely to be eaten or go rotten by that time.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

That's what I'm doing Bren - they're slightly safer indoors.

The dogs caught a woodmouse in the garden this afternoon and I have seen them in the GH so I think they're the culprits! There's one less now.

Comment

I read recently that wrinkled seeds hold water I'm tempted to try some wrinklies as I have lots (that's peas, rary).
                      Have a look in the mirror
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Any thoughts, am I completely bonkers?
                        What I think is,,,, yes you are

Though I was going to sow some peas in the greenhouse for pea shoots, after reading the through this thread I will now try both types and see if there is any difference, I don't know if it is worth trying to grow hem for peas as I think the daylight will bedroom short for producing them
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                          What I think is,,,, yes you are

I think the daylight will bedroom short for producing them
                          .....and you think I am "bonkers".

Comment

^^^^It should read " I think the daylight will BE TOO" short for producing them.
                            Anyway the bedroom would be too hot for plants

Comment

Whether there's not enough daylight or its too hot, to the great relief of many, you will not be producing your wrinklies in the bedroom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X