Celery stalk experiment!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update:

The stems on mine grew roots (front right) but haven't as yet grown new stems. The tops are withering now so I am going to throw them out. But the base (back right) is sprouting away nicely, so I'm keeping that one going. I might leave it in the pot to see how big I can get it.
    The next celery end I have I will use the base only and divide it into four to see if I can get four new plants from one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muddyfeet; 27-05-2013, 10:58 AM.
    Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
    www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
      that's a thought, if celery is biennial, then theoretically, the plant should flower?
      Big Tick and Gold Star for taff
      The celery grown from the base is going to flower
      The Stalk one doesn't look very happy. Its a very dark green and doesn't seem to be growing. May have white fly too
      I'm going to leave them do their thing and see what happens next

How's everyone else's doing?
      Attached Files

Comment

I planted 2 bases, one grew loads of roots the other only one. The base with lots of roots has put out lots of greenery and a couple of new stems but they are hollow and dry. The greenery is ok in a salad it adds a bit of flavour. The other is hanging on by a thread.
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

second attempt

This is the latest celery base. I let it grow on damp kitchen paper for a while and when it developed some shoots I divided it with a shoot on each piece.

The first one I did is growing away nicely, but I gather from previous posts that it will probably flower. Does this matter? Will this affect the celery quality?
          Attached Files

Comment

Further adventures...

The latest piccies of the celery experiment of cutting the base into 4 pieces.
            But advice needed... will this over winter? Do I plant it out? Do I put it in the greenhouse for the winter(which is what I have done)? or do I just bin them now and save the compost?
            Input appreciated, please
            Attached Files

Comment

Dunno Muddyfeet They're looking good though.
              Mine went to seed so I'm going to collect the seeds and eat them (probably)
              I think you're duty bound to care for them and keep them going as long as possible You could experiment still further and keep some in the GH and some outside

Comment

This is what came of the first celery stalk experiment I did, back in I can't remember when. After the summer in the allotment it went to seed as expected, but it had quite a lot of slim stalks. So I dug it up the other day and put the stalks into soup, they were quite tasty, but very tough. The zizzer only chopped it up small, I had to sieve it to get rid of the little bits. But it did pass on its flavour so a worthwhile end to experiment no.1.

Experiment no.2 with the 4 quarters is still ongoing, but the greenhouse plants have been evicted to the cold frame.
                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X