No announcement yet.

Celery stalk experiment!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch this space, taff Makes a change from lovage!!

Comment

My organic veg box has just arrived and I'm delighted to see that there's more celery for me to grow Also leeks and chard that may have another life - and ramiro peppers for seeds.
      Is it odd to look at a box of veg and ponder, not how to cook them, but how to grow them on

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Is it odd to look at a box of veg and ponder, not how to cook them, but how to grow them on
        Yes.

blah blah
        March is the new winter.

Comment

No, definitely not

Comment

Can I contribute my findings?
            When I read VC's first post I was just finished making some soup and I had one stick and the base plate with a few little stalks in, so I thought what a good idea! So I cut it up, dipped it in hormone rooting powder and stuck the pieces in a seed tray of compost.
            The green leafy one is the base plate and I uprooted one of the cut pieces to show the root coming on.
            I wonder if the base could be quartered and four plants would grow from it? The base plant definitely look the strongest. I will have to try that next time. If these continue to grow do you think they would be hardy enough for outside or do you think the green house might be best. I suppose I can try both ways, they were all free anyway.
            (The bottom pic is the first one, got a bit muddled)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by muddyfeet; 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM.
            Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
            www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Brilliant, muddyfeet - another celery stalk nutter Thanks for joining in
              They look really good - it looks as if just about any part of celery will root. Provided they don't bolt this year, we could be onto a winner. Much quicker than growing them from seed. Mine are outside now, fending for themselves and I'm going to start some more tomorrow

Comment

Watching this thread with avid interest as been unable to find celery plugs/seeds over here...

Comment

Can you buy celery heads Zenith? Give it a go - you never know what may happen - and you get to eat most of the celery anyway!

Comment

good luck with your errmm growing :-)

Comment

Come on RR, try it - you know you want to

Comment

Loving your experiments VC and they've been a great inspiration. I found some onions in a bag I'd forgotten about that had started to sprout. Was going to throw them on the compost but then wondered what would happen if I put them in some water...

I now have several shoots from each one and they're getting quite big. I don't know if it will work but assume that really they are just big onion sets so it's maybe possible I'll now get several onions from each one I was going to throw away?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sarah, my best guess is that you get flowers and onion seed. But you don't know until you try, so good luck!
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Welcome to the Experimental Veggie Nutter's group DS
                            I've found that Onions in water go a bit pongy! You could either bung them in the ground to grow on - but they'll probably flower this year - or cut the green tops and use them like chives. Its worth a try when otherwise they'd be in the compost heap

Comment

My organic veg box has just arrived and I'm delighted to see that there's more celery for me to grow Also leeks and chard that may have another life - and ramiro peppers for seeds.
                              Are you from London?
                              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thanks, onion seeds would be better value than a tiny bit more compost, then I can grow another batch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X