No announcement yet.

How high are your climbing beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8" or so, if that and because it's quite exposed they keep getting knocked down again.
    My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

A quick Five bar gate count of the posts on this thread shows that, of the 19 posts that include measurements, 15 are in Imperial and 4 Metric. Old practices die hard

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        A quick Five bar gate count of the posts on this thread shows that, of the 19 posts that include measurements, 15 are in Imperial and 4 Metric. Old practices die hard
        yep thats true, everyone i know thats my parents age or above uses imperial, but everyone i know uses both imperial and metric. For example when i say to my mum that a plant grows to 25cm - she says what that in old money? and every time i tell her how to convert, but she doesn't listen
        Last edited by Matt94; 15-06-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          I don't like new stuff!
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I use a mix of imperial and metric - metric at work, imperial when I'm cooking/baking and whichever is most convenient at the time anywhere else.

As for my beans, my dwarf french are 2.5 ft and my runners are just under 7 ft (stopped at that height as any higher would make harvest very difficult).

Comment

My dwarf french beans are around 6-10 inches.
              An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Most of my runners are between 3-4ft but with this wind I'm afraid they've not got many leaves and the few remaining ones left are in tatters!
                My borlotti beans are at a standstill around 10inch - leaves are yellow. Half of my french beans are out and bent or broken so I'm keeping my back ups inside until the wind calms

Comment

My climbing beans are just 30cm tall, but at least they're going now, they had been stuck for a long time at 6". No sign at all of the dwarf french beans, but those were only sown last week.

Comment

Highest Runner is now over 8 feet... not sure whats going on with it but you can look at it in the morning, then and night and you can see the difference. I have about 3 others over 6 feet and then the rest are between 2 and 4 feet.
                    French beans... about 1.5 feet, had ones higher but they died after a battering of wind.
                    Hose Pipe Reviews

Comment

Only really just planted mine a few days ago, so their height? nothing =p

Comment

Originally posted by selfsufficient View Post
                        I have lost one whole planting due to unexpected cold spell
                        I lost loads of stuff this year, to rotting: due to the cold, dark miserable weeks (and weeks, and weeks)

Originally posted by selfsufficient View Post
                        My gardening book says harvest from the end of June - I think not.
                        I usually get something edible after 3 months (that's from seed to plate)

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                        Mine are at the top of 7ft canes...or are they 8ft. Have had a couple of meals off them
                        Wow!
                        Were yours in your conservatory or something?

Originally posted by Andromeda View Post
                        I use a mix of imperial and metric
                        Me too. Dressmaking & school in metric, gardening in imperial (though I find it very difficult to mix the two).

My best beans are the butterbeans, 3ft tall. The best runners are 18", and the best French are about 10" : and all the plants are spindlier, weaker, than they ought to be. Absolutely terrible, I've never known a year like it.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Runners were ranging 12-18" tall last I checked, French beans maybe 10-12". Runners had a couple of weeks' head start. I need to finish tying them in but it's so nice and warm and dry inside...
                          March is the new winter.

Comment

My runners are around a foot up the poles, or snail food.

My french beans are perhaps 6 inches if I count the raised loo rolls they are in.

My dwarf ones are not much better and also feeding the snails.

I tend to estimate lengths and weigh ingredients in imperial but do most other things in metric out of habit from teaching Physics.

Comment

My French beans are climbing to less than 30cm. My runners are miles better.........around 2ft

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                                My French beans are climbing to less than 30cm. My runners are miles better.........around 2ft
                                It just goes to show: runners prefer damp cool weather, Frenchies prefer hot drier weather
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X