No announcement yet.

How high are your climbing beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My climbing french and borlotti beans are all around 5-6ft high. However, the nasty winds we've been having have snapped and blown off many of their leaves. They're still alive but do look worse for wear and don't know whether I get a good crop out of them.

Comment

Just been out to have a measure, my Scarlet Empero are 4ft 8in and the Seberian pole beans are way behind at 26inch even though both were sown and planted out within a day of each other.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We lost 2 sowings of french beans,due to repeating cold (bl**** icy) spells,our third lot now at 12/18ins,so they are about 4/5 weeks behind now,but we never got the really bad weather last weekend ,just a drizzly day on saturday,so i suppose they will do their own thing now and be just a couple of weeks behind when we start cropping,tomatoes planted in the g/house never grew a inch for weeks but now they have really taken off,and the melons as well,so fingers crossed...
        Last edited by BUFFS; 19-06-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Runner beans enjoying the weather here, and most are now twining round their hazel poles. Around 12" (dunno what that is cm) high (twined, that is, not straight!)

Looking forward to the crop!
          If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Terrible. The weather went cold and wet immediately after sowing, which was late in the first place. Hardly any of them emerged and of those that did, the slugs ate them all. I've sowed replacements indoors which are just germinating and hope to get a small crop this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
              my climbing runners are between 30cm and 60cm high, however the one's in florist buckets are around 1m high, (ive got about 40/50 in total at the minute) , my dwarf runners are around 15cm (got around 10 of those in), my climbing frenchies are around 10cm tall (got around 30 of those in) and my dwarf frenchies are around 30cm tall (got around 40 of those in)
              Wow Matt, are you growing them to feed the thousands?

Comment

Runners, to my suprise, are running away nicely- I only planted them out on sunday afternoon, and as of this afternoon they were wrapped round the poles and a good 18" high. Apart from the one that got puulled out and eaten by some bleedin' bird of course.

My frenchies, on the other hand, have been out for weeks, but have just sat there and sulked, and aren't much over 20cm yet (they're french- they use metric )
                My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Best measurement about 14 - 15ft now!

First year I've grown runner beans and I pinched out the tips when they reached the top of the support (a cheap arch) as recommended. I hadn't counted on a side shoot finding its way into next doors apple tree.

I just need to work out how I'm going to get the beans.
                  Attached Files

Comment

we are finally cropping our french beans,and not a bad crop,they are usually out by july and the leeks were due to go in there,but they are on the compost heap,having nowhere to put them,so start of april to end of sept is the longest season i have had on beans.....so far......and jalepeno peppers in the g/house ,still all green...i know,christmas peppers...solution....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X