No announcement yet.

What veg don't you want to grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinach..........................no wonder they had to ceate Popeye to get the kids to eat the bladdy stuff. Yuuuuck!!!!!!!!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I don't mind spinach raw. When it cooked, it just goes to a mush, even if you literally cook it for 2/3 seconds.

Comment

No interest in Celery, Radish or the dreaded Jerusalem Artichoke (Most unpleasant night of my married life sharing a bed with my wife after she had some at a fancy restaurant.
        My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Had a "discussion" with my mother about radishes:
          "You're going to grow radishes, of course."
          "But I don't like radishes."
          "Oh, you have to grow radishes, they grow so fast!"
          "I don't care, I don't like them, so I'm not going to grow them."
          "I don't understand children. Your sister doesn't like radishes either."

March is the new winter.

Comment

Not sure I like radishes either but I am growing them this year. I generally assume that just because I don't like something sold by Sainsbury's doesn't mean I won't like it if I grow it. My mum's the same - she doesn't like brussel sprouts, but she liked the ones I grew for Christmas last year - so much that she asked me to grow them this year.

My no-grows are runner beans (stringy, chewy, hard to slice weird things) and lettuce. I do not get lettuce at all. Apart from iceberg, which is just there to provide texture in a bun in my opinion (a valid job, but not much to write home about), it either tastes of nothing or it's bitter.
            Proud member of the Nutters Club.
            Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Oh dear... you want a list?

Beetroot
              Celery
              Sprouts
              Cabbage

Comment

Two veg I'm not at all keen on are runner beans and chicory.
                Guess what we've got growing this year????

( at least we have geese which will benefit if my OH can't eat them all!)

(Not too keen on ladies fingers either- but I've never even thought about giving them a bash)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Courgettes and runner beans - not that keen on them and I tend to get a lot from family who always have a surplus.

Comment

Radish for me too. Pity, they grow so easily and fast and look like little delish red balls of juiciness. But are not!!

Comment

Parsnips. bleurgh...
                      swede. I love it but its too hard to chop up.Im always worried I will lose a finger.
                      Peppers and Chillis. Hate the taste but they look so colourful and easy to grow I will probably end up growing some one year for other people!

Comment

Artichoke (all kinds of) and asparagus - I 'offered' to grow some for my mother, she was rather impolite about where she would put it if I did!

There are various other things I haven't tried to grow yet, ut those are the ones I won't grow.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                          I'm growing some solely to save the tubers for to re-plant next year. If you give me a nudge later on in the year say around oct/nov I should be able to keep some aside for you
                          That would be wonderful! I shall diarise to nudge you
                          http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                            No interest in Celery, Radish or the dreaded Jerusalem Artichoke (Most unpleasant night of my married life sharing a bed with my wife after she had some at a fancy restaurant.
                            Hilarious! If you had both eaten them you might have had a good giggle and feel differently about them.

Worth mentioning: I had some back in February - just baked with olive oil - and they made me very windy indeed... but a few days later I had the leftovers that had been sitting in the fridge and I had no wind at all. Might be a way to avoid the side effects?
                            http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

I gave some to my dogs with the same dire effects! That's why I passed them on to Chris

Edit the JAs, not the dogs!!
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 30-05-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                                cucumbers, which surely is the devil's todger.
                                Happy days for the devil lol! have to agree awful stuff, second only to celery...

Can't believe artichokes are so unpopular; nothing better than globe artichoke with good olive oil for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X