Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well have other people got on with this? I have to confess I needed to be more organised than I was.
    I planted broad beans along the rows where my brassicas were to go, and interplanted them with the kale and sprouts. Then with the appalling weather I didn't get the broadies cut down because I'd covered the bed with environmesh and couldn't get it off on my own because of the high winds. The brassicas grew leggy, and the green sprouts have run to seed, the purple ones are laying down, but look as if I might get sprouts later. On the positive side, I found that martock beans damaged by bean weevil would germinate and produce healthy plants, and as they were covered by the mesh, the beans ultimately produced were not cross pollinated so I can save the seed for replanting.
    Carrots between garlic and onions did work quite well, I've had a couple of root fly damaged ones, but on the whole good. However having to get my garlic up when the ground was sodden did mean disturbing some of the carrots as half of the lottie was stuck to the roots.
    Onions between strawberries DID NOT work. The strawberry plants grew so lushly they completed carpeted the bed and the onions stood no chance of getting any light. I did get a good crop of berries, although the weather did mean more rotten ones than usual.
    As I had beds set up I didn't really use the spinach as paths, but I did plant between rows of other veg and cut it to mulch (as well as eating a good amount too).
    I am currently setting up my beds using the lasagne method as the weeds this year have been horrendous and I've struggled to keep them down. It didn't help that my compost spawned a load of bramble seedlings from blackberry pips. (Doh, never thought of that when I put the shredded prunings and mouldy fruit into the bin)
    I'll consider experimenting more with Gertrud's methods modified to suit my circumstances next season.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have to say [and my lottie neighbour does as well, and he's not backward at coming forward] that it's been my most successful bed this year.

In fact, we have decided to ditch the short paths that go across the beds on either side of the middle 'lane' [we have 3 lanes, divided into 4 or 5 beds - with the very central bed of the centre lane [1/9 of the plot] taken up by soft fruit]; and I will be sowing my spinach or mustard or other green manure every 1/4 metre. I decided to go with 'any' green manure as things have come along a fair way from Gert's time and I like the flowers that they bring to the party. I can leave the ones at either end of the beds to flower and chop down any that I need for mulching.

So a Big Yes from me.

I did find that labelling and planning was absolutely crucial!

Comment

As for Gert's original apprentice - absolutely rubbish I have had the worst year ever in the garden, be it in Gertie's bed or elsewhere. Most seeds failed to germinate if direct sown and those that were transplanted have disappeared, either through the slimies or rabbits. Even the garlic and onion sets failed to bulb up and I'm still waiting for my first courgette or a decent runner bean.
        This year has been a total washout - but there's always next year
        Its good to have your feedback though

Comment

I've had the biggest and most prolific courgettes from the one I stuck on the end of one of my Gert rows.

Comment

You can be so unkind, sometimes

Comment

But truthful VC I'm afraid anyhow, I gave decided to convert to the great religion this year with A GF trial bed. Mr VVG split a big bed last week and it gives me a nice long one to go at. Fruit bed is coming back to me as a standard bed and my fruits are going down the side bed - smaller area.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Any chance of merging these two threads please mods ? Is anyone else doing this again this year, as I have decided to give it a go?
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Wish I understood that ^^^^^^

Comment

Look at your post above it^^^so unkind...

Comment

• Thank you to whoever it was

Comment

• Me. Gert all in one place. Much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Me. Gert all in one place. Much better.
                          Suspected it might have been I am reading the book and thinking about mustard sowing. When did you sow yours last year? March? I am going to mark at 50cm intervals on the raised bed boards. Or did you work at 40cm? I have got 5.6m length to go at.

Comment

• 50cm for the mustard. Gives a row every 25cm. I need to make some sturdy labels with A B and C on them for this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              50cm for the mustard. Gives a row every 25cm. I need to make some sturdy labels with A B and C on them for this year.
                              Could you use string and pins? The lads on the lotty will think oh god what's she up to now! me I mean. They watch us with interest, especially on mulching and green manure. But it's worked

Comment

• Anyone else struggle to see celeriac and parsnip as B crops (twice per year)? Am I missing something obvious?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X