Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not back to work until next week, so I spent some time reading up today, and then trying to work out if it's feasible to implement on my plot. I've already got all the fruit, shed, compost bins and water butts in, which has taken quite a lot of space up. I've only actually got 7m by 7.5m laid out as per her plans, but does take out the winter squash, beans, corn and peas.
    Now what I'm trying to work out is whether I'll have enough space to grow everything else I wanted to. Theoretically I should have, because of being more organised with crops following each other, but it's confusing.
    The plan I published is my second attempt, the first had the rows going E/W across the plot, trying to fit in the beans etc, but it didn't seem to work out right. Any suggestions on how to make it simpler gratefully received. I've followed the order she shows in her book, it's just that mine is all in one area I think, and I haven't decided what will go in each row yet.
    Last edited by BarleySugar; 27-02-2012, 10:48 PM.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

After buying loads of spinach at Lidl (29p per pkt, or 2 for £1) and chitting some old martock beans damaged by bean weevil (http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ans_52853.html) a couple of years ago, I went up to the allotment to get started. I spread out the old compost from the greenhouse tomatoes last year and mixed it in a bit. Then I marked out some rows, 40cm apart, sowing the beans in the rows where I'm intending to put sprouts, cabbage or kale (A+B), leaving C, and spinach in between them all. However this was only 2m across, so it takes longer than I thought! Despite Gertrud saying not to water seed rows, I did (before covering) because no rain is forecast for a while, and it's already quite dry on top.
      People will start thinking I've got Popeye coming to stay
      Last edited by BarleySugar; 29-02-2012, 06:13 PM.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!

Comment

Ok - I borrowed the book. Not done anything except a quick flick due to being a little busy but once my current Rebus novel is finished [tonight I reckon] I'll have a good read through.

Comment

I've been clearing a patch of ground which hasn't been used for veggies before but is the only squarish flattish space I have! Its 20' by 35' but not all of it is usable because of apple tree shade and roots that crisscross the patch.
          At the moment I'm thinking of dividing the space in two, each strip being about 10' wide with a central "spinach" path running west/east. The rows would run north/south. I'm going to omit the really tall stuff like runner beans because of the shading issue. That's the plan so far - by tomorrow who knows!

Comment

I've put my first GF bed together. 4m long, so I've sown 9 rows of mustard [not spinach as I need to use mustard due to aminopyralid taking so much fertility out - maybe next year]. Will then have 4 rows of B, 2 of A and 2 of C.

Crops to be decided on in the bath tonight. Pencil drawing is underway - photo to follow soon.

Comment

I've been reading my book, and it seems to be different to what we've got used to lately, ie narrow beds and not walking on them. Gertrud seems to cultivate a larger bed and walk on the spinach/laid mulch between the rows.
              It's kerfuffled me a bit, I need to think about it all a bit more, it's quite painful at times

Comment

You don't have to walk on it - I know I won't be as mine is a stand alone bed. I'll just be chopping the mustard down and leaving it on the surface.

Comment

well, I've just bought loads of spinach seed, so I'll give it a go

Comment

I'm still clearing and planning - but I have the spinach and some mustard raring to go (out of their packets).

Comment

I'm looking forward to checking if there's any seeds showing yet, after all they have had 2 weeks , and we didn't get much of a cold snap. Mind you I daresay my plastic cold frame will have blown away.I've still got a lot of spinach to sow, and I'll try to get some mustard in too.
                      I'm wondering whether to plant the potatoes first, then do the rows of spinach, so they don't inadvertently get disturbed, or not to worry about it, as it doesn't matter too much where they grow.
                      Last edited by BarleySugar; 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM. Reason: plan updated in original post

Comment

Almost finished clearing but still not got a planting plan worked out. I'm also hopeless at sowing in straight lines so will have to make a determined effort to measure out these rows and get the spacing right.

Comment

Piece of string VC - how on earth are you going to run with this and lunar sowing? Would blow my mind although you lot have grabbed my interest now. I'm going to be following Zazzy's test bed closely - keep blogging!
                          Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I don't see any conflict between the two methods, VVG. Gertrud doesn't make you sow everything on the same day. Just sow the spinach/mustard on a leaf day, plan the intervening rows and sow them when appropriate for lunar sowing. You see, I've just convinced myself its easy-peasy. How about you?

Comment

I think that was my worst nightmare, measuring out the rows and working out potatoes. They span 7 m, with the existing path going through the middle, which I'm basically ignoring at the moment. I've now got small bits of bamboo at either end, with string to mark the rows. Of course, I managed to measure a couple of 40cm distances wrong, I could see they were wrong anyway, even if the tape measure called me a liar. I believed me I'm trying to to stress too much though, as long as the plants are alternated, it must be better than bare earth. I'm aiming at planting some of the vitelotte potatoes tomorrow as they took so long to mature last year.
                              Last edited by BarleySugar; 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM. Reason: why do I never notice typos until I've posted?

Comment

I'm waiting for the questions to start VC. I'll bow out as I have enough on my hands when you are all on the lunar thread
                                Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 10-03-2012, 12:44 AM.
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X