X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight becomes me!

I grew the new runnerbean Moonlight this summer and I have been
    very impressed. I have grown various beans over many years and this
    is definitely the best runner I have grown so far. Lovely long tender beans.
    A bit slow to germinate but once away there was no stopping them.
    I suspect my results have been significantly influenced by the copious rainfall we have
    had this summer though.

Anyone else grown it and did it perform well for you?

Copious rainfall??? Not in sunny Corby nothing did very well for me this year runners & COURGETTES included! I will defo give moonlight a go tho, thanks

Comment

Flummery sent me some seeds, and they have been SUPERB. I'm growing them to use dry as butter beans: they have been more than prolific, highly recommended
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Pfft. Out of two wigwams of 7 canes, I've had 1 bean germinate. Ok, well 2 - but 1 got munched.

Will try again with 'em next year,as I've not eaten runner beans since I was a kid.

Comment

Might try Moonlight next year then. I've had only one picking from my wigwam this year. Rubbish.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

A lovely tasty bean (20 bags in freezer) I will be growing these again
            http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Hated the terrible germination with these beans, T&M even sent me new seeds when I complained. But the ones I DID get to germinate have done great for me. I've had pounds of beans of them and there still going great guns. The freezer is not far of full and friends dread coming round because I try to give them bags of runner beans . I'd recommend them...as long as you can get them to germinate

Comment

These have done really well for me too (and I had a PM from Snadger to say his had too!) I'm saving seed again for next year, definitely!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I didn't have any germination problems at all

What I have learned though is that white beans tend to rot with my usual chitting method (soak overnight then keep damp), so I kept them just damp
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Another YES for moonlight - they are a lovely bean and are giving me loads still. Done much better than my scarlet emperor and all my french beans this year.

Comment

A wonderful bean for me as well. I had no germination problems (100%) and didn't hang about either. A lovely taste without the stringy bits, it's what it says on the packet. A few got a bit big due to missing them under all of the foliage and still no string. I highly recommend them and i will be growing them again next year.
                      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Another one here for Moonlight. I grew White Lady too plus a self saved red flowered one and grew one white one at either end of the run with the red one in the middle. They have all done well but White lady started best and Moonlight was a bit slower but has lasted longer. I will be saving seed from all of them.

Comment

They do cross readily as I'm sure you're aware Suky, so if you haven't taken precaution to isolate some of the flowers then you may have a cross (pink-ish?).

Comment

I understand, Chris, that one of the benefits of Moonlight is that it is self fertile, unlike other runners.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Oh right, didn't know that - I guess it 'could' still happen though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X