No announcement yet.

Marketmore cucumber

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sowed some old marketmore seeds [another of the HSL batch of old seeds] and nothing....until this morning when a few have germinated.

I've got a nice space to pop them into as well, now that the potato onions are out.

Comment

Originally posted by chlojosh View Post
      I'm trying marketmore cucmbers for the first time this year too, too be honest it's the first year i've grown lot's of different veg and salads, and they're all going brilliant. Ive got 4 mmore cuc's in my green house growing fantastic, and one thats already outside but is actually lagging way behind the indoor ones. They are all in pots approx 8" dia, and 4" deep, will they be ok in these or should i re home them in something bigger???

I would pot them on that size of pot will not support the growth of a cumber, you really need something at least the size of a large Morrisons bucket.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Germinater View Post
        I started my cucumber in early feb and it's been out in gh all year so far it's maybe 4ft high and just as wide at last count yesterday I had almost 40 cucumbers on it with about 5the size of pencils must put up a pic so you can see .so glad I didn't grow any more as this one will give us all the cues we need all through summer and maybe autum and will still have to give sum away at this rate my first try with cucumbers .can't believe how big this is growing it just gets visibly bigger every day a check the gh .will need to take out the staging and put it at the bottom on the floor soon so it has more room to grow ..although we have had a very warm spring and summer so far and I'm quite lucky to be almost as far south as you can get in England ..can't wait to try my first cucumber that I have grown my self...
        Well done! Since i've just noticed you're an Eastbournian i thinm i'm going to end up religiously checking your posts then cursing myself for moving to East Anglia! I loved my small yet ideally shaped garden and i so well with the warm climate and now it's all in pots

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          I would pot them on that size of pot will not support the growth of a cumber, you really need something at least the size of a large Morrisons bucket.

Colin
          Like Colin says, the pot needs to be bigger, they are hungry plants. I have mine in Asda buckets with most of the bottom removed and they are then placed ontop of another Asda bucket containing the same compost. It's worked for me before for both cucumbers and melons so I stick with it.
          Yesterday I noticed some soil displaced on one of the plants and when I lifted up the cabbage collar (used to keep the moisture in) there was a massive ants nest. Nests were in two pots actually and they just happened to be the two plants that were not growing as fast as the others.
          The birds enjoyed them anyway!
          Last edited by Sanjo; 12-06-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

cucumber (market more)

Hi, whats the verdict on growing this type of cucumber, i'm growing 4 plants in a greenhouse, all are growing fantastic, is this the male or female type??? and do i need to pull off the flowers?????

Comment

It's a ridge type but I grow them under cover here because it's generally too windy outside.

It's also an open pollinated variety, you need both male and female flowers and insects or alternatively you could do a hand job using the male flower into the female one. Unless I'm saving for seed I let them do their own thing and they do fine.
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

I'm growing this variety this year and trialling it inside and out. From other posts on the forum this variety seems to throw both male and female flowers(the female will have a mini cucumber behind the flower) although mine aren't that far on yet. As cucumbers go bitter if fertilised, simply cut off the male flowers and all will be well.

Comment

Leave them on! Marketmore doesn't want any of its flowers pulled off or it won't set fruit. Male and female flowers MUST be kept on the plant. The beauty of this plant is that you can grow it even outdoors and you don't need to faff with the flowers!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

so the male flower has no cucumber behind it and only really need removing if there is a chance it will fertilise the female ones, mine are in door so should be fine left on.

thanks

Comment

thanks for the advice, i'll be investing in some larger buckets, i've also lost one plant to ants/insects, but it was outside whereas the other 4 are inside and still thriving like mad.

Comment

You need both flowers to as these need to be fertilised or cucumbers will not grow.

Comment

I have merged both these marketmore threads to keep info in one place
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I've grown Marketmores for 3 years now and I tend to grow 2 in the greenhouse and 2 outside. Lovely, numerous fruits from all of them but the skins of the outside ones tend to be tougher.

Reet
                            x

Comment

4 plants grown in large pots, in a plastic green house, all producing lovely cucumbers, skins are a little tough but very tasty

Comment

Mine also have tough skins so I was wondering is there anyway around this apart from peeling them ?
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X