Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Chili and Pepper winter sowing thread.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sown on New Year's Day:

Chilis:
    Apache Cayenne (Suttons, for reliable large crop)
    Nigel's Outdoor
    Pretty in Purple
    Hungarian Black (from saved seed, so who knows what it'll be)
    Habanero orange
    Habanero chocolate
    Habanero yellow
    Caribbean red
    Scotch Bonnet yellow
    Scotch Bonnet red
    Tepin (last seven in a big collection)

Peppers:
    Yankee bell
    Lipstick

Aubergines (crashing the early thread):
    Moneymaker
    Early Long
    di Firenze
    Ukranian

+ overwintering Orange hab, Pretty in Purple, Hungarian Black (if it's still alive...)

Some background: last year, the apache were as good as always, Hungarian black was magnificent, pretty in purple was pretty, orange habs were poor (ran out of summer). Peppers were our best yet, but still only green, and we got a good crop of aubergines.
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Can I join in?
      Sowed 6 different chillis on 2 Jan (can't remember which, will post later when I've checked the propagator!) and have 2-3 more to go in next weekend
      My final overwintering chilli didn't (very cold greenhouse!) but looking forward to seeing if the new ones work well (loved Padron last year - 1 in 10 is hot, and yes, the OH got the hot one!)...
      Exciting - though I think maybe we just need SOMETHING to sow this time of year???
      S

Comment

The first of my recently sown seeds popped it's head up this morning

And the winner is ... Trinidad 7 pot, 8 days from sowing to showing.
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

white habanero germinated today ( quite happy because i only had 2 seeds) oh and a lemon drop too 2 more to go...

one mustard habanero is starting to get its first true leaf (its only like a millimetre ) and the "seed tray" that its in now is 3.5 inch diameter (diagonal) and 2.75 inch deep.. do i need to transplant when it gets its second true leaf? the bottom half of the pot is filled with multi purpose compost and the top half has seed compost

EDIT: just read danmons post... good idea
          Last edited by Nordmead; 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
            The first of my recently sown seeds popped it's head up this morning

And the winner is ... Trinidad 7 pot, 8 days from sowing to showing.

Now you got me going,off to chase mine lazy bu**ers,grrr

Comment

None of mine have germinated yet. I've sown:
              • Facing Heaven
              • Gelbe Kirschen
              • Peruvian Purple
              • Orange habanero
              • Prairie fire
              • Cherry bomb
              • Rocoto Orange and
              • Apache

WHAT'S KEEPING THEM ???

They've been in 24 hours now!
              Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Was reading this thread at work in my lunch hour today, and realised that I sit right next to a warm, south facing double glazed window sill. Am going to head out tomorrow and find myself a nice hot chilli to try there.

The window sill is directly above a radiator - do you think this will make much difference either way?

I've promised the other half I'll make her some super hot chilli sauce this year, so any recommendations for a good warmth are appreciated.

Ta v. much.
                Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
                  Was reading this thread at work in my lunch hour today, and realised that I sit right next to a warm, south facing double glazed window sill. Am going to head out tomorrow and find myself a nice hot chilli to try there.

The window sill is directly above a radiator - do you think this will make much difference either way?

I've promised the other half I'll make her some super hot chilli sauce this year, so any recommendations for a good warmth are appreciated.

Ta v. much.
                  Sounds good, two things to watch out for though. One, I'd presume the heating gets turned off when the building is unoccupied, windowsills can get cold at night. Two, make sure what ever you sow your seeds in doesn't dry out, you need to keep it moist but not wet.

If you want super hot, then anything with Naga or Trinidad in the name or Scotch Bonnet or most of the Habaneros should do the job.
                  There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post

Ta v. much.
                    just make sure that the leaves aren't in the path of the hot air coming from the radiator or they'll dry out

well if you want super hot i think the chocolate hab is one of the hottest habs at the moment.. although if youre feeling brave you could always try the dorset naga or even the naga morich

edit: looks like someones beat me to it
                    Last edited by Nordmead; 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmead View Post
                      just make sure that the leaves aren't in the path of the hot air coming from the radiator or they'll dry out

well if you want super hot i think the chocolate hab is one of the hottest habs at the moment.. although if youre feeling brave you could always try the dorset naga or even the naga morich

edit: looks like someones beat me to it
                      Thanks for your responses.

I got given a Dorset Naga last year and made the mistake of putting the whole thing in a pasta sauce. That was an experience!
                      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

2 of each in prop today
                        choc hab
                        white hab
                        praire fire
                        cayenne

Comment

I'm not as adventurous as many on here with my varieties but I have saved my own seeds from the Peppers I grew last year so maybe I will get bonus points for that instead. Although the originals were F1s so no idea what I will end up but I'm a sucker for a surprise.

10 Jumbo Sweet Peppers
                          10 Cayenne Chillies

All sown today and in the heated prop in the utility room.

Comment

Just used the magic S button-found another thread that got me thinking(after looking at pics)-what size should be final chilli pot?
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nts-out-2.html
                            Last edited by coreopsis; 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: forgot the link...

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                              Just used the magic S button-found another thread that got me thinking(after looking at pics)-what size should be final chilli pot?
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nts-out-2.html
                              Depending on variety, my best ones end up in Morrisons black flower buckets, which I think are about 10in diameter.

Comment

I'm still trying to master by chilli growing abilities but it leaves me a bit confused.If I give it a pot that is too big the chilli will keep growing the foliage(no flowers),if the pot is smaller it sends a message to the plant "that's it" so it starts flowering.I find them very challenging to grow-last year was my 1st year with fruiting chillies.As I have next set of seeds already in the compost I'm thinking "what can I do to get them bigger and better".I'm not a fan of all fancy plant food found on the shop/gc shelves,what can I give them instead?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X