Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Chili and Pepper winter sowing thread.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been planning out what chillies to grow for this year. With 3 uni students depending on me for dried chilli, plus what we use at home, I will need a fair few. I've worked out where I'm putting them, greenhouse, cold frame and allotment (if we ever get the lease signed off !). The Nagas and Habs are going in the greenhouse, so they are the first to get going. I put some random varieties in on 10/12, and they are lovely little plants now.
    I'm using up the last of my jiffy7s today, the other will need to go in pots, so I will need to set up my other electric propagator.
    In my 'seed census' yesterday I have 33 varieties, so no more than 3 plants of each will be grown. Working back from a week after our last frost last year, (which was later than usual), I've come up with the 5/6th Feb as the last sowing date for the allotment ones. These will be the annums, as they seem to do better outside than the others.
    I will be planting a few extras for friends that want plants too, but space will be at a premium even with the lights to help them along.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Two of each of the following sown in a heated propagator today:

Rocoto Orange
      Tepin
      Red Habanero
      Fatalii
      Chocolate Habanero
      White Habanero
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Last day of the year,first of a new season(for me).Sowed the seeds from the Chilli Parcel.

Sweet peppers:

Napia
        Ramiro
        Corno Giallo
        Jilly's sweet pepper

Chillies:

Jalapeno
        Alba
        Ring of Fire
        Chenzo Black
        Calabrese wotsit
        Mazzetti
        Black Pearl

and some Lucky Dip ones(I'm most curious about these ones)

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
          Wow you lot are SOO early!
          I start mine off at the end of Jan!!
          Well,mine were growing at the speedy rate pair of leaves/month.

Comment

You are all welcome to join the chilli seed circle, you know (if you have not already that is.)

Comment

Thea,I didn't want to join any of the seed circles because if I don't manage to grow something that I promised to fellow circle users I'd feel like a right turkey.If I have surplus of anything I can always offer it on the Vine at any moment

Comment

happy hogmanay!

Comment

Right... I have planted these:

Big Banana Sweet
                  Anji Yellow
                  Gindungo
                  P-dew
                  ball chilli green
                  Jimmy Nardello

in addition to a few toms and an aubergine...

They were all recorded in their position, so that I could easily identify until my poor DH knocked them over and they were distributed all over the laminate. Ooops! Lots of surprise plants now after this roulette.
                  http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Hi, I have never grown chillies of any kind and have not ordered any seeds but this thread has inspired me. Can anyone share tips for a chilli noob?

I would like to grow Capsicum but am open to suggestion for what what be good for a first try.
                    "One who plants a garden, plants happiness."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Potato Head View Post
                      Hi, I have never grown chillies of any kind and have not ordered any seeds but this thread has inspired me. Can anyone share tips for a chilli noob?

I would like to grow Capsicum but am open to suggestion for what what be good for a first try.
                      Cayenne - very easy to grow and quite prolific. GYO offered free seeds for these last year, and I imagine the chilli seed parcel (if its still about??) has oodles of them. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Potato Head View Post

There's lots of info on here about chilli growing, try using the search function, or for more specific advice why not start your own thread on the "New Shoots" board?
                        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

hey folks,
                          I was hoping for some advice re. Planting chillis at this time of year. I have several different sorts, some of which require a long maturing time. In the past a have held off planting until later in the year, but i was wondering if i could set some off now in the heated propagator then put them on the window sill. My worry with this is whether they would get enough light at this time of year?
                          Thanks, anna

Comment

I think it's fair to say most of don't have grow lights, so we just use a sunny window sill. Just don't leave the plants on the sill overnight - too cold. Go on join us, sow a few seeds

Comment

mustard habanero as germinated (i thought they were supposed to take forever? )

nothing yet from lemon drop or white habanero though

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                                I think it's fair to say most of don't have grow lights, so we just use a sunny window sill. Just don't leave the plants on the sill overnight - too cold. Go on join us, sow a few seeds
                                Thank you, that's very reassuring! I have 10 each of about 20 different sorts to choose from so i may just get a couple of several different types going for now. Luckly picked up some cheap window sill propagators in a sale last month so that will make moving them around a bit easiess once they have germinated. Good luck everyone!
                                Anna

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X