October - what to plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeatTheSeasons View Post
    Overwintering peas and broad beans. Also putting in raspberry canes and planting strawberries out.
    yum yum, rasberry canes! I wish I had a proper garden to plant loads of berries in

Gonna check out overwintering peas and beans, thanks

Comment

I planted my over wintering onions and garlic at the weekend, as well as some winter lettuce in a containter. Also put some spring cabbage seedlings in the ground, and have a few left which I'm going to try in pots this winter.

This is a good leaflet on winter lettuce: http://www.onepotpledge.org/pdfs/Winter-salads.pdf
      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

How about perpetual spinach . Chard looks beautiful in pots . Also lots of herbs look good in containers .

Comment

I have growing in pots outside, garlic, shallots, corn salad, rocket, Lettuce leaves, and a few different herbs all will do well for quite a few weeks yet.
          Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

ive started my garlic and onion sets in modules for the time being, ready to be planted into my containers this weekend once i pull up my toms. i chose early wight garlic as it says it matures from May, which is when i plant out my toms. im not expecting the onions to have time to fully mature but i can still use them as i need them straight from the garden. ive also got sring cabbages in my pots.
            you can still grow plenty of fruit if you just have containers. ive currently got strawberrys, blueberrys and ive just bought a gooseberry plant.
            http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

SOW
              Rocket
              Mibuna
              Mizuna
              Early peas
              Winter lettuce
              PLANT
              Spring cabbages
              Winter lettuces
              Rhubarb
              Onion sets (early in the month)
              Garlic (early in the month)
              Broad beans
              HARVEST
              Parsnips
              Carrots
              Beetroot
              Chard
              Lettuce
              Radish
              Salsify
              Scorzonera
              Potatoes
              Spinach
              Swedes
              Late apples
              Pears
              Autumn raspberries
              Perpetual strawberries
              Celery
              Celeriac
              Cauliflowers
              Winter cabbage
              Oriental cabbage
              Brussels sprouts
              Broccoli
              Sweetcorn (early in month)
              Tomatoes (early in the month)
              Turnips

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                I've been looking at Radar onion sets, but I'm thinking I don't really have enough room.
                If space is precious, don't grow crops which are cheap in the shops, like onions. Grow something more exotic, like um, fruit or new spuds (March).
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Space is VERY precious! I really don't have an awful lot of room! Although I have had a surprisingly big haul this year of stuff In a tiny little bit of concrete full of pots, I grow/grew this year:

4 types of tomatos (4 big pots - gone now though)
                  3 types of strawberries (12 small pots)
                  1 rhubarb
                  Lettece and rocket in summer
                  6 blueberry plants (on the way)
                  Sweet pepper (the only plant that failed, as it fell in some wind while i was at work and died)
                  3 types of chilli - scotch bonnet, jalapeno, cayenne x2)
                  Chives
                  Parsley
                  Oregano
                  Basil
                  Coriander
                  Eccinacea
                  Sage
                  Rosmary
                  Bay
                  Lemongrass
                  Garlic

Mainly a glorified herb garden tbh, with added toms and soft fruit. You wouldn't believe you could grow so much if you saw the space, at the peak of summer it was like an alladins cave, people used to call it the 'urban jungle'. I didn't think I'd get away with it but everything was tasty and grew really well considering there is not much sunlight at all and not much space. but its wedged inbetween a wall and my house so nice and warm I guess

Next year, I'm gonna have MORE stuff, I love it, its like a massive game of tetris and adds some colour to the bleak city centre. Gonna have:

all my herbs still!
                  cherry tomatos (in hanging baskets if i can find good enough brackets to hang over a wall)
                  2 beefsteak tomato plants (bloody tasty and had a good yield this year)
                  6 blueberry plants (they will be small and not much fruit on them)
                  some beans made for pot growing (might try some of them in baskets too as an experiment)
                  4 chilli plants

gonna germinate loads of slow growing stuff in the hope that I'll have an allotment in a few years...

Comment

Originally posted by lettuceleaf10 View Post
                    How about perpetual spinach . Chard looks beautiful in pots . Also lots of herbs look good in containers .
                    oooh i love chard! mmmmmm. I have swiss chard 'bright lights' but it says to sow before August - so much too late! Are there winter varieties though?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                      oooh i love chard! mmmmmm. I have swiss chard 'bright lights' but it says to sow before August - so much too late! Are there winter varieties though?
                      You can still buy plants in some garden centres . I think they are quite tough and would soon catch up with a bit of protection. I usually put a fleece cloche over mine when really cold weather is forcast .

Comment

Ive got 4 square meters of polly house spare, and about 12 square meters of ourdoor plot soil going space....really need to get my act together before it gets too cold and dark.

Comment

[ Fill a 13 cm / 5cm pot ]

What does that mean? I found it on a website about planting garlic in containers, and I've no idea what it means. Does it mean a pot between 5-13 cm?

Comment

13cm = 5" A typo methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahStrawberry View Post
                              A random thought, others might know better, but what about winter lettuce in pots??
                              I have some really large pots that I layered flower bulbs in for spring and summer, then I thought "that seems a waste over the winter" so I put half a dozen lettuce in each one, and there doing really well

Comment

Black locust trees.
                                Impatiens glandulifera

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X