No announcement yet.

Tracking Elderflower Experiment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting to burst in my area, on the two I pass anyway.

Comment

Flowers out on campus (Lancaster).... means I need to start collecting for my champagne and cordial now!

Comment

I've found Elderflower in bloom near where I live. In total bloom, location Lundy Road, Inverlochy. Will post photo after I've swallowed a brave pill and forced my way through some jaggy bushes

Bad photo!
        Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 24-05-2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

That's not elderflower. Looks more like Rowan to me.

Comment

Yep - a rowan leaf.

No elderflower out in my bit of E Yorks yet but I don't think it'll be long.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Rowan is a right pain for looking just like elderflower, the flowers are almost identical so you need to look at the leaves.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I cut all ours back last year so lots of new growth, but only a few budding 'heads'.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Just checked my elderberry tree in the garden. The leaves have five segments and the flowerbuds are forming, and I found the following picture on Google images. Hope it helps, although they can have more than five segments. Google Image Result for http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/islandcreekes/ecology/Plants/Common%20Elderberry/elderberry_branch.jpeg.

Comment

Just as well I don't make Elderflower wine

Comment

Yup - I can't believe it!!!

I've got elderflowers outside the greenhouse that I work in every fortnight. Somewhere between Cirencester and Swindon.

I was all busy checking the undersides of the pots to see what needed potting on, looked up and there staring me in the face was an elder flower head.

Will post a piccie tomorrow; it was TOO HOT in there this afternoon to go back in and take some photos.

I'll be bringing a bag full back with me tomorrow....

I was expecting loads of you to say that you'd seen it today...that it had come out over the weekend. Probably because it has reflected heat so it is a few days ahead of other elders.

WOOHOO.

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                        Just as well I don't make Elderflower wine
                        Wait for the berries - you can put them in mixed fruit jelly recipes or make rowan berry jelly as an accompaniment to cold roast meats.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

as promised - photos of some of the elderflower bushes near me - before i picked loads - i have started my first batch of cordial for 2010...the close up is the bush i mainly picked from...and the other photo is to put the bushes in context.....
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Its coming on,
                            its coming on,
                            elderflowers coming on.

Me and Tadpole had a look yesturday and 2 or 3 heads are just coming out. I should think by the weekend we'll have a bush full. Just got to work out which neighbour it belongs to and then use Tadpoles charms to bag us a few bag fulls.
                            Growing vegetables and flowers to share.
                            www.takeoneseed.wordpress.com

Comment

Mine havent got any buds yet, the ones in the cementry behind the house havent got any buds yet either
                              but on the 15th may i was at a model aeroplane competition at barton airport by manchester and 50% of them were flowering then
                              Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

It's a shrub not a tree innit?
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X