No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may help you to start planning your sq ft beds. Obviously you can expand the sheet to your own needs.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...5TaXc&hl=en_GB
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My book suggests that you put certain plants on the edge of the square simply because then they can make use of the paths to spread out into. For example, cabbages will happily grow falling off the edge of the square. A tomato plant is never going to restrict itself to a 30cm square. You may find that you have very little room to walk in if you have long rows. The REAL space taken up by these beds is really quite a bit larger than the 1m20 square marked. I'll be interested to hear how you get along.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        This may help you to start planning your sq ft beds. Obviously you can expand the sheet to your own needs.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...5TaXc&hl=en_GB
        I have requested permission to view it Bigmall. Dont know if you received that request though.
        If not is there any way you can put it on so we can see it.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
          I have requested permission to view it Bigmall. Dont know if you received that request though.
          I'm glad you posted that WW I did wonder why I couldn't just open the spread sheet link.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
            Not sure if I've done anything but try again.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Just had a quick peek and it works now.

In my planning I've added a "3 per square" category for things that need to be 22cm (8 to 9 inches) apart. If you plant/sow row of squares with 3-per-square things you end up with a series of point-up and point-down triangles. I thought about doing 2 in opposite corners but figured that the system is built on giving them the space they need, not more, so went for 3. We'll see if it turns out to be a good idea or not.

Comment

It works now BM thanks
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Great.......There is nothing to stop you using 5's.....1 in each corner & 1 in the middle.

Comment

Yes I have it now. thanks for that.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Gonna call in @ Wilko's on way home. They are advertising 23cm bell cloche with pegs for £1.48. Should be ideal for sq ft gardening, especially for covering 1's to 9's.

Comment

Mally - since I work with AutoCAD - and because I can - I just did a sketch of a 9 and unless you're planting the corner ones more than 2" from the edge of the square, the cloche will miss them.

It'll get 5 of the 9, missing the corner ones but should cover 4s no bother. I don't think it'll cover properly spaced 3s and obviously will be fine for 1s.

They do look suitably cheap and though I'm more likely to make some cloches like mini polytunnels than to buy them... I'm tempted.

Comment

How much soil, approximately, would each of these beds need to fill up. Anyone?

Comment

I really like the idea of this square foot gardening but how would you protect crops like the brassica's in such a small area?

Is this covered in the book
                            http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

I assume you mean protection from birds and the likes...
                              You make a small net/cage to cover a square foot and pop it over the top. Of course, you can make bigger ones if you like - depends on what your needs are.

The book covers making cages to protect against beasties from above, cages to protect against beasties from below, to provide shade on a square by square basis and to protect from cold using fleece or poly.

Check out your local library and see if they have a copy in stock, saves you buying one and you'll be able to see how he's addressed things like protection in more detail than you'll get in an answer on a forum.

I've never used another system and this is my first season with square foot, but I've got to say I think it seems very well designed and thought out.

Comment

Thanks Organic

My local library is useless! I have more gardening books than them
                                http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X