Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoy!

I expect you'll get to the bit about supports and wonder what approach to take. It's now getting to the point I'm considering using bamboo (quite apart from his views on it) as it's going to prove tricky and expensive to get the kind of materials he prefers. I'll either be using bamboo or hazel. Not sure which yet. I like his approach, but just don't think I have the time and funds for that this year. "Maybe next year".

The sheer "common sense" in the first chapter of the book is spectacular though... he'd sold me on the system before I even made it to Chapter 2!

Comment

I had to use bamboo last year for my beans as I couldn't find hazel poles anywhere and this year I want twiggy pea sticks (or piggy twee sticks as I keep saying) and have been told that local nurseries and GC's can't get them so don't know what to do 'cos I have some tall growing peas

Comment

can I ask those of you that are doing this method - have you followed "mel's mix" to the letter or have you created your own version?

Comment

No. Our soil is good anyway, and I'll add good organic stuff as I plant. Works for me.

Comment

Me neither, My soil is OK and I am adding garden compost, don't have the funds to buy in loads of soil improvers and certainly not peat.

Comment

Just read this thread and the first post - the PDF file - introduction to sq ft gardening - brilliant! I'm going to give it a go in a couple of beds down the plot!

Comment

Another one not using Mel's Mix. I might be tempted if I was building beds over concrete or something but for now I'm not using raised beds at all (I may raise them one at a time later in the year as crops come out, but even then I doubt I'll use his mix).

Comment

I'm just using what would normally be put in beds, no special mixes.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Book ordered
                    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Seeing as I am breaking the 'SFG cardinal rule' by not using his soil mix, what would you recommend as a soil improver. I have used up my own compost on my new raised bed and will have only OK-ish soil under the other 2 (previously was under a paved area). Prefer not to use peat but not sure what else to go for.

Comment

I'm fortunate to be growing on an allotment plot that I'm told has very good soil already (though part of it was under a path until last week so will probably need some work) so don't know a great deal about improvers... wouldn't the same kind of soil improvement you'd use on any other organic method do the job though?

I'm thinking along the lines of leafmold, compost and the likes.

Comment

When I first made my raised(and edged) beds I used a mix of multi-purpose compost ,sharp sand and coir. I was actually given some coir bricks which each made about 9 litres compost. Probably used two thirds MPC, and one sixth each sand and coir but not measured accurately, bung it in and stir( I cook the same way). This was not for a square foot garden but should work, add a bit of bone meal or blood, fish and bone depending on what you are growing.
                          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I changed a path in my garden about 3 or 4 years ago that was laid when the house was built. I think it had been laid on a thick bed of sand, and that is the type from Scarborough beach, not sharp sand. In a way it is a good job they hadn't used builders' sand because that contains lime and I don't need any alkalining. I just dug in loads of cheap, commercial compost plus some of my own compost and leaf mould and some BFB for luck. I've had no problems since with really anything so I reckon you are on the right lines Organic.
                            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                            >
                            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Just discovered that my daughter has a friend who keeps horses and she will deliver some well rotted manure for me, so this will go in a couple of beds. Need to check what doesn't need it so it goes in right bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
                                Just discovered that my daughter has a friend who keeps horses and she will deliver some well rotted manure for me, so this will go in a couple of beds. Need to check what doesn't need it so it goes in right bed.
                                Play safe & keep your root veg away from it Suky.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X