No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You go for it girl, I hope it works for you.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• At last, I can finally dedicate more time to some after-care.

Attached Files
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Hi BM, that looks great. Interesting that you have one square per courgette, I was going to allow 6 squares for 2 plants but it would be great if I could save some of those.

Comment

• Yes I agree Sara, 1 square is pushing it but my thinking is as they were spares anyway, I will try and grow them up strong canes, I'll wing it and see what happens, worse case scenario is they get pulled out.

Comment

• Thank BM, I'll stick at 6 squares then and see how I get on. This year is a bit of an experiment!

Comment

• Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
              Hi BM, that looks great. Interesting that you have one square per courgette, I was going to allow 6 squares for 2 plants but it would be great if I could save some of those.
              Sarah, I think I may have made a 'school-girl' error when I planted my two courgettes on Saturday ... IMHO - I'd still allocate your 6 squares for 2 plants - my two I allocated 2 squares each - and they look hemmed in already .....!!!! I think they could take the whole bed over ....
              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• 6 squares it is in that case Susie!!

Comment

• Sara, how many beds are you doing SFG - and how many squares do you have, out of interest ...???

I have 4 beds - the small one being 12 squares and the other 3 have 21 squares.

I've had fun planning them out - although my plans have been made on graph paper with a pencil and rubber, you can probably tell I'm not a computer wizz..!!!! (Unlike BM - whose plans look very professional... just a bit envious of all those beds 'n squares ...!!!)
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Hi Susie,

I have 4 beds in total built with sleepers so they're not exactly 8' X 4', slightly smaller. Each bed has 21 full squares plus 11 x 2/3 squares if that makes sense.

One bed is caged and will have brassicas, the cage can then be moved to another bed next year for rotation.

One bed is full of strawberries, one for salad stuff and the last one for beans, peas and my courgettes. I'm not really following the traditional SFG approach of really mixing up the planting except in the salad bed.

Spuds, carrots, parsnips and various flowers are in containers dotted around.

My plans are handwritten as well. In excel I 'drew' empty beds and printed off lots of copies that I scribble on, screw up and start again lol

I'll post some pics of my plans later this evening.

Comment

• I'm really looking forward to seeing your beds in the next few months.............that din't sound right did it?...........

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        I'm really looking forward to seeing your beds in the next few months.............that din't sound right did it?...........
                        BM ..........BM...........BM...........!!!!! careful my friend, pointy stick approaching from the west ........
                        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Don't know if you can make them out, but here's my 'plans' (so far..!)
                          Attached Files
                          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Looking good Susie, the only thing I would have considered was splitting the Dwarf French Beans into separate beds. Just thought I'd put a few pics of some of the beds at the mo. They are a bit hit & miss but that's exactly what I want.

Attached Files

Comment

• They look fab BM - I love the randomness!

Comment

• Thanks Vicki, Hopefully they will have filled out by next months pics.
                                Last edited by Bigmallly; 30-05-2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X