No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does look good BM especially with the flowers amongst the veg.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• So the year is nearly over, how did everyone get on with their sfg. Really interested as this is my plan for next year.

I am assuming sald leaves and such were fine, but what about the larger stuff like beans, peas, brassica...

Also did you all go with 16 carrot or onions in one square, what were the resulting veg like?

Comment

• My year of SFG, or block planting as I prefer it, was a resounding success. All crops performed well and don't seem to mind growing in close proximity to one another. I didn't stick to any recommended spacings and planted at what I thought was appropriate. I like reasonable sized onions but I don't mind baby carrots. The only things I wouldn't grow by this method are potatoes and runner beans. If you check out my blog you'll see some pics of my results.

the recycled gardener

Comment

• I did the same as SC, I used the recommended spacings as guidance but also used 5's as in a domino. As you can tell from my previous posting, I was really pleased with most crops, I liked the results with flowers mixed in to give a more informal look. I can't wait for spring to arrive so I can start all over again.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• At Christmas I got some grow bag things which are 2x3 feet and at least a foot deep (I can't remember how deep they are offhand, but they're a pretty good size). I do have an allotment, but figure I'll use these in the back garden to experiment with my more exotic crops and things that are nice to have right on hand.

I figure I'll divide them up for square foot gardening techniques. I've spent the last couple of days planning what will go into each, and I'm having a blast.

I've seen spacing guidelines for shallots, but I can't tell if those for growing shallots from seed (where you'd end up with a single shallot) or for growing them from sets (where they'd multiply). I have some shallot sets ("topper" variety, specifically) to sow in February but I haven't had any luck finding out for certain how many to grow to a square. I've never grown them before, so I can't go based on experience. Any suggestions?
            http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

• Originally posted by sbeneli View Post
              shallot sets ...how many to grow to a square.
              They are usually planted 6-8" apart each way
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• This article says 4" apart in a garden, maximum to a square foot = 13..............Not sure how that works out. Maybe they have bigger square feet than us.............

Growing Shallots
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Hi everyone

Well, last year didn't go quite the way I had planed it, so I'm getting an early start this year!

I've made 3 raised beds, one is full of strawberries, one plant per sq.

One bed is deep enough with stone free soil, that was manured last year (although the courgettes I planted in the soil I used, flowered lots, but had hardly any fruit!?!). I was going to use this for the root crops as well as a few other things, I'd like to have it mixed up still...

The third bed is low at the moment and full of pebbles! My whole garden is some small, but a lot large. I was hoping I could get away without riddling it this year as the list of garden jobs I've got to do is already mahoosive! I've got to juggle it with the children, college and housework.... so I'm trying to prioritise.... I was hoping any none root crops would be ok?

I was wondering what fertilizer I should add? I have 2 4ft sq beds... so 16 sqs in each bed... the pebbly bed has had nothing added to it at all, so I think it could do with something.

bed one, I'm hoping to grow:

carrots
                  parsnips
                  turnip
                  onions (to try and ward off carrot root fly)
                  leeks
                  pot marigolds
                  beetroot
                  peas

bed 2, pebbly:

chard
                  curly kale
                  garlic
                  broad beans
                  lettuce
                  spring onions (might do these in pots yet....)
                  Radish
                  peas
                  french beans

I've probably forgotton some

I'm going to grow aubergine, tomatoes, cucumber, chillis and peppers in the greenhouse, although I'm going to be sensible and only plant one or 2 of each variety and label them properly this year!

I'm going to have some pots and hanging baskets too... for courgettes, sprouting broccolli, salad mix, herbs, spring onions, baby bear pumpkin and maybe a summer squash... I've already got several pots with strawberries in, the kids love them!

I've got 5 hanging baskets set aside for tomatoes.

Potatos will be going in sacks or tubs and I'll only be doing salad varieties.

My garden isn't the best for getting the sun, it hits from late morning and gradually moves across.... I've always done well in the greenhouse though, so fingers crossed it will be ok!

I'll have to take photos as I go....

sorry for the long post I know where I am having it all written down!

Comment

• Sounds a good plan, looking forward to the pics.

Comment

• Last year was my first year veg growing and I used the SFG method, which is perfect for me owing to lack space, I had varying degrees of success but the thing that puzzled me the most was that nearly all plants appeared to lean and grow, for a time, along the ground before venturing upwards. I followed the soil mix from the book but am wondering if it is a little too "friable" therefore not giving the plants the support they need or am I doing something else wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazy View Post
                        Last year was my first year veg growing and I used the SFG method, which is perfect for me owing to lack space, I had varying degrees of success but the thing that puzzled me the most was that nearly all plants appeared to lean and grow, for a time, along the ground before venturing upwards. I followed the soil mix from the book but am wondering if it is a little too "friable" therefore not giving the plants the support they need or am I doing something else wrong?
                        Are you growing near a wall or hedge as this stops the plants getting light all the way around and they tend to lean over towards the light on the one side. Happened to my onions last season as they were right beside the wall - made weeding very difficult but otherwise they were fine.
                        Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

• I'm really interested in giving SFG a go. I notice that there are 3 books by Mel Bartholomew now. Are they all pretty much the same? I realise one is an updated version of the original but that the other one has a slightly different title. Which one should I go for?

Comment

• Have just spent a rewarding couple of hours tidying up the beds in preparation for this years SFG's.......is anyone else giving it a go?

Comment

• I'm waiting for my book to arrive and then I'm hoping to give it a go

Comment

• I enjoyed my block planting (sfg without the particular soil mix lol - mine is topsoil with lots of compost) but I had mixed results. I think brassicas need more space so this year I am doing less of those and looking harder at how I space them. Tomatoes also didnt work for me so I am going back to pots for those. They were too congested and got blight I think.

Everything else was great. I did 9 onions to a square and they were an ok size (needed more sun so different bed this year). Beans, peas, salads, corn, pumpkins all great. Carrots were good size after I left them ages. Overall very pleased and going to follow the same plan.

It is very good for breaking down the area and making it easier to plan and timetable things and be more methodical about sowing/planting. Something I am bad at otherwise!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X