No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some squash/pumpkins can be trained up a frame. I am planning to do this with my butternut squash this year to make better use of the space.

Comment

• So I am planning out the plot and going to try the SFG way. I am using the growveg planner. I have got 3 six foot square beds, one for legumes, brassicas and roots. I want to plant some pumpkins , courgettes and butternut squash so was thinking of inter-planting in the corn and runner beans. If i am doing four beans/corn to a square foot can i then put a courgette/pumpkin/squash in the centre of them?

Comment

• Originally posted by ugley_matt View Post
        So I am planning out the plot and going to try the SFG way. I am using the growveg planner. I have got 3 six foot square beds, one for legumes, brassicas and roots. I want to plant some pumpkins , courgettes and butternut squash so was thinking of inter-planting in the corn and runner beans. If i am doing four beans/corn to a square foot can i then put a courgette/pumpkin/squash in the centre of them?

Someone more knowledgable will come along; I would say give it a try. From an older thread advice from Jaxom (grape) :

Climbing plants such as beans courgettes or squash and other vines are grown at the northerly end of the square so they do not block out the light of the shorter plants.

Courgettes, 1to a 3’ foot square

Winter squash, 1 plant to two x 1 square feet, side by side in an oblong.

You can spiral your suash etc so they dont trail quite so far
        Elsie

Comment

• Originally posted by ugley_matt View Post
          If i am doing four beans/corn to a square foot can i then put a courgette/pumpkin/squash in the centre of them?
          I would be tempted to put another corn/bean in the centre & leave the courgette out of the SFG plot as they take up too much area but that's just my personal choice. I have made a bed specifically for corn, sweetpeas & courgette.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• You can try but I feel its just going to be too much in a square. My pumpkins and beans under the corn didnt really get enough sun and I only did 1 corn/sq ft! (although my plot isnt the sunniest).

I agree with bigmally's suggestion too.

I put courgettes into their own squares (1 plant/4 squares) - they become huge plants. I do plant other stuff around them - basil, radishes etc.

Comment

• Just bumping this thread again as I'd be interested to know what everyone is planting and how? I've read through and taken on a lot of your advice, special thanks to everyone who posted pics and gave detailed planting advice. I've just ordered some sweetcorn as I love it but have never had any really good crops - what variety do you all use? I've got some Kelvedon seeds coming next week donated by a friend anyone have any sucess with these? I'm hoping to block plant at least 16 plants using 4 squares (my squares are slightly larger than recommended I have 9 to a 4ft square bed.

francesbean
              My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

• I've planted lots my beds are filling up already! lol. Sweetcorn is out under its polytunnel. As is some early courgette and french bean plants as an experiment (under cloche). Onions are in. Broad Beans, peas, mange tout, beetroot, carrots, leek seedlings, lettuce and rocket have all been sown. A spinach plant survived the winter so have left that and its going strong again.

Most of the direct sown is still just tiny seedlings but will post some pics later of sweetcorn/courgettes etc if interested.

Question : has everyone else gone for 5 beans per square? (french beans the dwarf bushy ones) I have tried 1 square with 9 but it looks too tight for me so think I will go back to 5 per square. The packet says 6" spacing I think.

Comment

• The correct spacing for french beans is 5 plants per SF.

Comment

• Sorry for bumping this thread, I just wondered if there were any successes this year that may be of interest.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• I don't know if ours counts as SFG ... nothing's measured
                      June bed | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-07-2011, 06:21 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• That looks good TS. When the children have finished with the dratted TV box I might pinch another bit of lawn with it to give this a try.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          I don't know if ours counts as SFG ... nothing's measured
                          June bed | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
                          I like that, no messing about with string or canes........nice one TS

Comment

• I did start off with strings, but they got in the way and snapped anyway
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Took me ages to work out how those gourds were growing.. Then I maximised the screen and notice the description, d'oh!

Comment

• Mostly successes for me this year. I might move away from being so strict with the sq ft part next year for some things - namely peas, french beans, courgettes. So I will be more block planting than sq ft gardening lol.

Only real failure is red onions. I did plant a 4 x 4 square of onions at 9 per square and think its just too crowded. They all fell over each other so some are great but some are rubbish. Next time seperate the squares of onions with something else (perhaps carrots I think).

Cant fault the system for raised beds though. Much more productive than rows for sure. Cram it all in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X