X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greasyfire View Post
    the foilage is all mangy.
    It ought to be ... it's winter !
    Potatoes are a summer crop, they hate cold and any frost will kill them instantly.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      any frost will kill them instantly.
      Well so far two sheds i have had several frosts and they are still green so..... they dont look apparently killed instantly by frost
      Last edited by greasyfire; 05-12-2009, 05:48 PM.
      Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

I think if you sowed them in August, then their natural cycle will mean that the foliage will die off naturally, won't it? If it was early August, then you've had 16 weeks.

They will reshoot in the Spring if you leave them in. I discovered that when I left some strays in last year (and got a lovely crop this year from them!).

Comment

Well tomorrow I will plant some swift in a grower bag and we can record the result.
          I will place them in my greenhouse and try and video record my progress weekly.
          What does everyone think will happen?
          Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
            Well tomorrow I will plant some swift in a grower bag and we can record the result.
            I will place them in my greenhouse and try and video record my progress weekly.
            What does everyone think will happen?
            I reckon you'll get potatoes.

Comment

I think I will get a decent crop of early potatoes.
              Potato videos here.

Comment

I think I will get a decent crop of early potatoes.
                I think I might join you actually! I'm sure I can find somewhere in the greenhouse to pop a growbag on its end.
                Last edited by zazen999; 06-12-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Yh that seems like an interesting test. I going to try that
                  Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Dont know about growing them over winter, but I just lifted a load of potatoes today.
                    There was a line that I knew was still in there, and after I got them out I dug the rest of the bed over ready for the beans to go into, and hey presto, got a load more spuds that I had missed the last 2 times I dug the same ground over earlier in the year.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

That's the problem with potatoes - there is always some lingering around somewhere undiscovered until it comes to next year's growing season and you have carefully planted your beans in the rotation!
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by greasyfire View Post
                        i have had several frosts and they are still green so.....
                        Have you? In London? We've not had temps below 4C yet here on the East Coast
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Have you? In London? We've not had temps below 4C yet here on the East Coast
                          We've only had one - here in the Midlands.

Comment

Check list for todays experiment.
                            1 Swift potato - Check
                            A potato planter bag - Check
                            Some old compost approx 20litres - Check
                            3oz of potato fertilizer - Check

Just need time to get to the greenhouse and do it all now.
                            Potato videos here.

Comment

Check list for todays experiment.
                              1 Swift potato - Check
                              A potato planter bag - Check
                              Some old compost approx 20litres - Check
                              3oz of potato fertilizer - Check

Just need time to get to the greenhouse and do it all now.
                              I have the above except for the potato! I'm going to nip to the lottie and get a spare Kestrel if I can.

Comment

I normally plant some lady crystals 3rd week of december last year and mid jan the year the year before, did get potatoes, have planted swift and accent on the 29th november and more swift yesterday, and will also plant some mimi when they come. I have now got some Polypots to try 50 lts ones. There was building working at our sainsbury's recently and I was given loads of plastice which is white like the Plastic green polytunnels on ebay,might cover the potatoes in that in the tunnel if needed. lets all experiment and see what the findings are

marion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X