No announcement yet.

Potatoes in winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've only had one proper frost up here too, a few cold nights but only one that made things go crispy. Mind you, that can't have been too bad as I still have geraniums flowering quite happily in the garden.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Have you? In London? We've not had temps below 4C yet here on the East Coast
      Its not in the morning but it is at the night when there is frost. i live in the suburbs so it is not at hot as the citys.
      Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

I planted a few potatoes (unknown mutt variety) about a month or two ago, not really expecting anything to come of them, but thus far they're doing ok! They're in the dirt floor of my unheated greenhouse, a bit spindly, but it's nice just to have a bit of greenery when the house is looking a bit empty.
        The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Potatoes as a house plant...
          Last edited by greasyfire; 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I grew them this year in the greenhouse on top of comfrey leaves and never fed them with anything else and I have had a great crop. Large tubers fresh for christmas dinner. I bought the seed spuds from jba seed potatoes. I grew edgecote purple and red duke of york. I started them off outdoors in August then moved them into greenhouse. Will do again this year as turned out great!

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
              Check list for todays experiment.
              1 Swift potato - Check
              A potato planter bag - Check
              Some old compost approx 20litres - Check
              3oz of potato fertilizer - Check

Just need time to get to the greenhouse and do it all now.
              My cold greenhouse has been showing nightime temps of minus 4 deg for the last week.........and thats WITH a paraffin heater in it!

I can't see how you can grow spuds in Scotland at this time of year without a lot of heat?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just re-read the above reply and it sounded a bit pompous............it wasn't supposed to be!
                Last edited by Snadger; 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM.
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

went and checked some potatoes planted 2 and 3 week week december, not chitted, they are chitting underground, had a newsletter from alan romans today he believes that pre chitting is not necessary

marion

Comment

Usually i dont chips my potatoes, they are usaully runts of the bag and all the rotted potatoes provides extra nutrients thorugh the winter months

Comment

I had to take the bags of spuds out of the greenhouse and they are now living in my basement. Not much sign of any action yet.
                      Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                        I had to take the bags of spuds out of the greenhouse and they are now living in my basement. Not much sign of any action yet.
                        I have my 'inside out' used fertiliser bags ready to try your outdoor growing method later in the year tattieman!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nice one Snadger. You will find it to be very easy and will enjoy doing it.
                          Potato videos here.

Comment

It all depends on the weather when you can start potatoes in the greenhouse. Still a bit early for me I think as the temperature in my greenhouse has been down to -10C in the last few weeks!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X