No announcement yet.

best seed company

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too on The Real Seed Company, I used them for the first time this autumn to buy my winter vegetable seeds and I'm super impressed with service, delivery, seeds and how they have all germinated and are growing. I will definitely be using them again in spring!

Comment

I had some failures from Real Seeds personally but I can vote for:
      More Veg as being so suitable for smaller scale gardeners with lots of variety and not too many seeds per 50p pack - and such nice notes to her regulars as well,
      Kings for just doing what it says on the tin so well,
      Rebekahs seeds for being such a lovely lady and good advice when I met her at one of the shows [her stuff grows well and is well priced]
      Unwins for being on sale every time I go to the garden centre in September - 50% off is not to be sneezed at
      T&M for being good but far too expensive [unless also at 50% off if you are really really lucky]
      Seeds of Italy - great stuff, but very wasteful quantities in such big packs
      And of course Dobbies who offer a great discount to my horticultural society and should be thanked/recognised for that.

Comment

Can I just say thanks to all those who mentioned The Real Seed Company; I hadn't seen their site before but have just viewed and am impressed by their unusual varieties. Order is winging it's way to them now.

Comment

I started with Suttons-very good germination,never had any problem with them,very reliable.
          T&M-again good quality but a bit pricey to me.
          Real Seeds-I bought the seeds last year,good quality,liked them for a service and difference from the others(no beetroot Boltardy or Elephant garlic-sorry)
          King Seeds-good germination,good price,very reliable
          MoreVeg-good service,excellent choice for smaller scale growers and to try new varieties
          Next season I'm trying Tucker's seeds (already in the box)and premier seeds direct(just ordered)
          The only one company I naver had any luck with is Fothergills.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Nicky's Nursery?They seem to have quite a good choice.
          As for the rest of seeds-B&Q are good(this is Suttons but lower price)-I find their seeds as good as Suttons,Lidl-very good germination,but medium crop(maybe I expected too much),Morrisons own range-brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
            I'm surprised nobody mentioned Nicky's Nursery?They seem to have quite a good choice.
            As for the rest of seeds-B&Q are good(this is Suttons but lower price)-I find their seeds as good as Suttons,Lidl-very good germination,but medium crop(maybe I expected too much),Morrisons own range-brilliant.
            I only tried Nicky's once. Bought some samphire seeds. Fairly good on delivery, mediocre on price but very poor germination rate. I have heard others say the same. They are OK if you want stuff only they do but I can't recommend them.
            Agree on Morrison's though. 'Ordinary' stuff but good seed and price.
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHat View Post
              If you have an allotment with a trading shed have you thought getting the basics from there??

I get my tatties and basic seeds from the trading shed.
              I am still looking for a good fruit company (for Vines, Blueberry ect)
              And for my Chilli I use South Devon Chilli Farm.

Going to have a go at Peppers and Melons next year so I am going to take a look at some of the sites here myself.

Vince
              Have you tried The Dorset Blueberry Company ?

Comment

I am really tempted to give this company a try. Has anyone used them & if so were you happy with the results.

New Vegetable Seeds
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by elizajay View Post
                  I bought two blueberries bushes from then, they are lovely strong healthy plants, and superbly packed -I think you can tell if a company cares about their plants by the way they send them out.

I have had unfortunatele exeriences with T&M - mainly with flowers etc for my mum. The quality is very disappointing, and what they call a "plant" is usually a seedling, or bit of root thats pretty knackered from being in the post for a week or so. E.g. I just got some hellebores for her for christmas on a "free" offer with GW, (you pay about £4 P+p) they yesterday arrived after being posted on 24th Nov, a scrawny bit of root with mould on!! I planted them out, but am not holding out much hope....

Comment

I ordered from "Simply Seeds" on sunday night, and received the seeds this morning. Nicely priced too.
                    So, positive feedback so far. Just got to wait to see the results of the planting

Luce

Comment

Who has the best germination rate?[/QUOTE]

I was recently reading my local paper and there was a small gardening article in it. It mentioned that Which? magazine had done tests on various seed companies and Dobies came out on top with a 90% plus germination rate.

Comment

moreveg.com

Comment

I like buying from all of them that is why Mr Herbie has banned me this year until I use up some of my supply. (sshhh shouldn't be a problem now I've got a lottie, haha). Do love ordering from Real Seeds, Simpsons Seeds, Tamar organic, More Veg, T&M .............. the list just goes on and on.
                          http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

I prefer 'The Organic Gardening Catalogue' (formerly Chase Seeds) for vegetables. Good quality, good germination a nd fair price with no postage if over £28. Also, 10% discount for Garden Organic members.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X