No announcement yet.

best seed company

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yet another vote for "The Real Seed Company", although I do use other seed company's, T&M, Kings, Suffolk Herbs, Dobies, Marshalls and I also Edwin Tucker & Sons. I've also got lots of seeds from grapes via the seed swap.

Comment

I've always found Kings to be an excellent choice,had quite bad germination as have other friends with T&M .The Italian companies seem to give many more seeds per packet which is usful to share amongst other veg fanatics !

Comment

If you have an allotment with a trading shed have you thought getting the basics from there??

I get my tatties and basic seeds from the trading shed.
        I am still looking for a good fruit company (for Vines, Blueberry ect)
        And for my Chilli I use South Devon Chilli Farm.

Going to have a go at Peppers and Melons next year so I am going to take a look at some of the sites here myself.

Vince

Comment

Just tend to pick up the odd packet here and there and don't usually have to do an annual seed order. Same with fruit, tend to get what I want on special offers on Magazines.

Ian

Comment

Another vote for Real Seeds, I think they are keenly priced and with a bit of seed swapping I get all the seeds I need. I've emailed Real Seeds questions unrelated to their products (where could I buy Potato Onions - I had been trying for ages to find a supplier with no success, then a thread appeared on the Vine and got me interested again). I received an email back from Real Seeds telling me of a supplier in the UK. Can't think of another supplier that would be so helpful.
            Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I use T&M and i have had good results, but i have to admit i am a bit of a seed tart and am seduced by seed packets as i am wandering around shops.

Comment

Going to give real seeds a go. i intend to make a list of what we actually need to grow next year for ourselves and pets, like excess sweetcorn for the chickens, kale for the bearded dragon, and no cauliflower - we hate it so why did I bother?

Comment

T&M for my main supplies - especially when on half-price offer - says the tight-fisted one! They're also very good, in my experience, when something has gone wrong with replacements or refunds. Out of stock items can take an age to arive - but do eventually - almost when you'd forgotten or given up hope!

Real seeds for the unusual and heritage/'unlicensed' varieties - possible as it works as a private club. Very plain unillustrated catalogue in the old-fashioned style but plenty of pics on their website. Good seed conservation advice.

And for the exotic - Jungle Seeds. This catalogue is a wonder to thumb through - fantastic photos and always worth giving a try to something 'wildly' unusual. Great if you have someone wanting to give you a pressie which has that extra je ne sais quoi. Can involve some long term commitment to a growing project in some cases and a little know-how/experience. Also, some of these varieties on offer will definitely need greenhouse/conservatory conditions and many extra heat/light.

Comment

Quick Update:

My parcel of seeds from Real Seeds has arrived, and I'm so impressed, the packing list is also a personalised cooking and seed-saving instructions sheet for all the seeds contained in said parcel. How cool is that!!?!!

Comment

Has anybody bought from these?.....It looks a well laid out site with unusal seeds.

eSeeds.com - Unusual Vegetables
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I can stick in a vote for Real Seeds.... I've used Seeds by Size and although it can be a bit taxing working through his various methods of sellign seeds they do frequently work out cheaper, especially if you only need a few or you want lots... Also Moles Seeds if you want larger quantities or can persuade a few people to club together adn I've also used Premier Seeds (they operate on ebay) a few times and they've always been very good.... minimal packaging (lets face it once you've grown one squash you've grown them all in terms of what they're like), so as long as you do a bit of research then they're good...

chrisc

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Has anybody bought from these?.....It looks a well laid out site with unusal seeds.

eSeeds.com - Unusual Vegetables
                          I have bought from these guys a few times for flower seeds as they always have something different.

Only been growing veg since spring so not really looked on that front

Will have a browse and let you know
                          http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

I looked at the More Veg sight after seeing it mentioned on the vine and the size of the packs were right for me not wanting too many seeds left over. Also not buying too many seeds kept the price down. I received my order by first class post in less than twenty four hours. Good service I think.
                            johntheeng

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                              So many seed catalogues! I usually buy my veg seed from marshalls but after being sent mouldy garlic and yellow brassicas(I got a refund!) I am considering looking at other sources. Who has the best germination rate?
                              just ordered some potatoes from grow organic they have more information in their catalogue on resistance, also ordered some branywine heritage tomatoe seeds from them. ordering some other potatoes from dobies as i get more for my money than from marshals eg. 3kilo packs instead of 2 kilo from marshals and cheaper with multi pack orders.

Comment

REAL SEEDS!!!!! very good value ,excelent germination, they have tried them all so they know what they taste like, all open pollinated so u can save your own seed ( they tell u how) price and seed numbers in my opinion can,t be beaten, give them a try.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X