Organic myth 2!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snohare View Post
    CFCs invented in the 50s, banned in the 80s...and the ozone holes are getting bigger again because of all the greenhouse gases keeping the heat in are now cooling the upper atmosphere where the NAT/CFC reactions take place only at sufficiently low temperatures.
    The Industrial Revolution started two centuries ago, increasing emissions to this day and no doubt long into the future, and we are beginning to notice the effects of what the early Victorians did to fuel their locos, while Hill and Knowlton (the Ad agency that funded the tobacco "controversy" for so long - "We would have Satan as a client if he would pay us" was their boast) use their old idea of "there is a lot of debate" to muddy the waters. Everything you read in the papers about climate change is years out of date and laughably optimistic, the climatologists acknowledge they are running after an accelerating train.
    So yes, we need to enjoy the birds, the bees, and the wildlife. Because as that old consumerist society saying goes, "When it's gone, it's gone !"
    This, believe it or not, is me on an optimistic day. Thirty years of reading about climatology will do that to you !
    In true private Frazier fashion WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOMED AYE WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Comment

there's been bannings! hilarious
      aye womble a fine creature, one of about 230 different types of solitary bee in blighty
      aye snohare, i feel your pain, this can help cuteoverload.com
      'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? ' Douglas Adams

http://weirdimals.wordpress.com/

Comment

While it's likely that very few of us could live up to the stringent regulations imposed on those who sell produce labelled 'organic,' I believe we do our best to keep our gardens/allotments/veg/fruit as clear and clean as we can.

I have a very good reason to grow veg as chemical-free as I can - that reason is, I'll be eating them. I agree with Lynda that we don't always know the source of everything we use - ref chicken manure may come from battery hens, but it's probably a lot better (having been left to rot down for a long time) than using a chemical-based fertilizer that will boost the plants only. Again, I agree with those that say make your own compost, and I try, though I find it takes so long to break down and ends up with such small amounts that I need something else as well. That something else may be chicken manure pellets or organic seaweed food. Anyway, my point is that we do the best we can, use the best we can and respect our surroundings.

AND it gets us out in the air and gives us a bit of exercise.
        Last edited by maytreefrannie; 13-04-2009, 02:33 PM.
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimbojetset View Post
          there's been bannings! hilarious
          aye womble a fine creature, one of about 230 different types of solitary bee in blighty
          aye snohare, i feel your pain, this can help cuteoverload.com
          It honestly made my week seeing that bee. Silly isn't it.

I'm voting for you to be the official "cheerer upper" of the board.
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOMED AYE WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED
            Many a true word spoken in jest !
            I can tell that "Mother Gaia" has turned against me for my doom and gloomly ways. Yes indeedly, for I was told by the internet that I had no permission to access the server, was allowed only the most tantalising glimpse of primary colours and what looked like the Spanish bloke from the Simpsons before "Forbidden 403" came up. I am cutely underloaded, and perhaps this is an endemic, nay an organic shortage in my life...
            I think I will go water some plants on my windowsills, and think happy sunshiney thoughts.
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie
              ...I agree with Lynda that we don't always know the source of everything we use - ref chicken manure may come from battery hens...
              If its not Soil Association certified such as Rooster or Pennine Organics, then you can bet its from battery hens.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ets_26123.html

Oh and we might be doomed, but hopefully the Earth isn't!
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 13-04-2009, 03:26 PM.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Fluorescent green View Post
                Since no one has mentioned coir, I am not sure why you have brought it up!.............

FG
                Because the usual substitute for peat based compost in the garden centres is coir based!

Can I ask what you use and why?
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

CFCs invented in the 50s, banned in the 80s...and the ozone holes are getting bigger again because of all the greenhouse gases keeping the heat in are now cooling the upper atmosphere where the NAT/CFC reactions take place only at sufficiently low temperatures.
                  The Industrial Revolution started two centuries ago, increasing emissions to this day and no doubt long into the future, and we are beginning to notice the effects of what the early Victorians did to fuel their locos, while Hill and Knowlton (the Ad agency that funded the tobacco "controversy" for so long - "We would have Satan as a client if he would pay us" was their boast) use their old idea of "there is a lot of debate" to muddy the waters. Everything you read in the papers about climate change is years out of date and laughably optimistic, the climatologists acknowledge they are running after an accelerating train.
                  So yes, we need to enjoy the birds, the bees, and the wildlife. Because as that old consumerist society saying goes, "When it's gone, it's gone !"
                  This, believe it or not, is me on an optimistic day. Thirty years of reading about climatology will do that to you !
                  Are you a manic depressive Snohare?
                  Last edited by Snadger; 13-04-2009, 05:58 PM.
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use peat free compost coz my dad used it and to be honest I didn't think there was any other type
                    Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

Are you a manic depressive Snobare?
                      Seriously, after all's said and done, all we can do is try to set a good example and deal with the cards we are dealt, eh ? Which is what I think most of us here do in terms of being organic. If the world around us is going to turn to FYM without the redeeming features we all know and love, then yes, all the more reason to appreciate today's sunshine, with the bees buzzing about, and the sight of the apple blossom.

Comment

Seriously, after all's said and done, all we can do is try to set a good example and deal with the cards we are dealt, eh ? Which is what I think most of us here do in terms of being organic. If the world around us is going to turn to FYM without the redeeming features we all know and love, then yes, all the more reason to appreciate today's sunshine, with the bees buzzing about, and the sight of the apple blossom.
                        You sound a bit more cheerful Snohare!

It's amasing how breaking open a cheeky little red can put a different complexion on things!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

(Note to self: must keep taking medication...)

Comment

(Note to self: must keep taking medication...)
                            You must share the medication
                            Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Can I ask what you use and why?
                              Hi

I don’t use that much compost, but I buy peat free, which one depends on where I am buying it from. I am usually buying something else at the same time.
                              With food, they must list the ingredients, but with compost ?? - the bag that I most recently bought contains bark and composed green waste, no mention of coir.
                              I do have a compost heap on my lotty, but I haven’t started using it yet.

I can’t understand why people are banned and some think this is a "bun fight", we are just discussing things.

FG

Comment

Originally posted by susiewoosie View Post
                                You must share the medication
                                Can I have some?
                                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...