Organic myth 2!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fluorescent green View Post
    I can’t understand why people are banned and some think this is a "bun fight", we are just discussing things.
    FG

Me neither.... there doesn't seem to be any explanation to help us newbies understand.

Were people insulting each other? On other forums I use the mods leave a trace behind to indicate what the offenders were saying and also add a post to broadcast why posts have been editted or removed and the poster banned - this has always helped me in formulating my posts!
    The proof of the growing is in the eating.
    Leave Rotten Fruit.
    Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
    Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
    Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Well, I practiced what I preach, and we spent yesterday afternoon preparing a bit of ground on the lottie (formerly overgrown with tired, non-fruiting raspberry canes) ready to build a big new compost bin from pallets and scrounged bubblewrap

I joined our local Transition group after seeing the recent "Natural World" programme on peak oil and farming - in a nutshell, we're all going to have to "go organic" within a generation at most, because artificial fertilizers are made from natural gas (amongst other things). The Transition movement is about making positive changes, because most people are understandably turned off by doom-and-gloom messages. I agree with Snohare that in all likelihood we are b***ered, but OTOH if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem
      Last edited by Eyren; 14-04-2009, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyren View Post
        build a big new compost bin from pallets and scrounged bubblewrap
        I mis-read that as Scrounger Bubblewrap ... he wouldn't like it, you know
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          the usual substitute for peat based compost in the garden centres is coir based!
          I was always a bit iffy about coir because of the air-miles issue, but it's actually shipped.
          It's also very very light, so you can get a heck of a lot of it on a ship.

It is a sustainable product - the plant (coconut) regrows, and while it is growing the plant absorbs co2 from the air. Peat bogs will never regrow (having taken millions of years to form in the first place). Peat bogs don't release co2 until they are dug up.

Coir also provides work (trade not aid) for a developing country.

Coir Compost discs

It isn't the same as peat or even MP compost - it dries out quickly - but mixed in with MP I find it bulks it out and makes it go further.

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew: Information Sheets: Coir
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-04-2009, 06:44 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            I mis-read that as Scrounger Bubblewrap ... he wouldn't like it, you know
            Oops! No offence meant to Bubblewrap - I wouldn't insult a MOM!

Good point made about coir, T_S - not everything is flown, even these days! Now I feel better about my worms' bedding...

EDIT - those coir disc bags are so cute, I will have to buy some to lighten my home-made compost
            Last edited by Eyren; 14-04-2009, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Peat bogs don't release co2 until they are dug up.
              Once upon a time, that was the accepted truth, but recently it was found that dissolved carbon is flowing out of UK peat bogs in the water, in ever increasing quantities. In essence, the carbon sink seems to have filled up 20 to 30 years ago, and now it is spilling over. The additional bad news is that this carbon is going to be a health hazard in our water supplies one day; it's toxic. It is a fair bet that this is a worldwide thing, except of course Siberia and Indonesia are giving off huge quantities of methane. Add increasingly acidic warming oceans, and you have all the carbon sinks full, and actually beginning to give out stored carbon. (270 years worth of global emissions in Siberia's Western Slope alone.)
              Eyren, I would be very interested in details of this Transition movement. If we are going to be stuck on the railcrossing with the express train coming, I for one will have my seat belt off !
              (Can't see yardarm...must take medication anyway...)
              Yes, that coir stuffie is great for seedlings isn't it, I only wish I could get to B & Q to get it.
              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Are Airmiles not the same as shipping miles..........they're all miles aren't they! The ship still uses fuel to get here with it.(Maybe not so much) It's doing nowt for OUR local economy though.. I don't think we should go back to pushing wheelbarrows with square wheels or living in caves (might be fun though!) but............

I was always brought up to believe charity begins at home!

Do what you can for the benefit of the earth, but also adopt a 'localist' approach using local produce, in season, and giving employment to local people..........
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                  Eyren, I would be very interested in details of this Transition movement. If we are going to be stuck on the railcrossing with the express train coming, I for one will have my seat belt off !
                  Main website for the UK movement is here: Transition Towns WIKI :: Main / HomePage

You might find this page particularly useful in seeking a fledgling Transition group in your area (there are a couple in Aberdeen, but they haven't officially launched yet): Transition Towns WIKI :: TransitionNetwork / Mulling

My contribution so far is to volunteer for the team who compile and send out the Cambridge weekly bulletin - I only have to do it once a month, so hardly onerous. I'd like to do more on the Food Group side, but getting my own allotment in order is taking up most of my energy at the moment!

Comment

Orgasmic veg anyone?

I'm thinking of starting up a movement.
                    Last edited by HeyWayne; 14-04-2009, 11:53 AM.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                      Orgasmic veg anyone?

I'm thinking of starting up a movement.
                      Let me guess, a cucumber is going to be your emblem?
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Do what you can for the benefit of the earth, but also adopt a 'localist' approach using local produce, in season, and giving employment to local people..........
                        I agree - for my bantams' run bedding I buy Hemcore, made in Essex, rather than its French equivalent Aubiose - but OTOH we can't grow everything here in the UK. You have to balance the pros and cons and make your own decision...

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                          Let me guess, a cucumber is going to be your emblem?
                          I like to be inclusive, so I would say a ripe pair of melons, and a cucumber should cover all bases.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You are a lucky boy if you a lovely ripe pair of melons, I can never grow them.
                            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Surely a stump rooted carrot is more realistic ? After all, what would those in the North without greenhouses do !
                              Oops, sorry, blokey moment over. (Must take more medication...)
                              Thanks for the info Eyren, I will follow it up. I knew that I had not heard of anything locally, and anything that is publicised I usually know about through contacts.
                              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

...think I saw a book about the Transitionist movement in the Wiggly Wiggers spring catalogue...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X